Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How hard is it to learn how to sew?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am not talking actually making clothes. I mean, like: turning the sewing machine on, threading it, and sewing in a straight line?  Lol, I have never touched a sewing machine before and I am totally clueless with how they work, but there are a couple of simple projects I would like to be able to do.

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Replies (51-57):
Tigress22304
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:23 AM

it's actually VERY easy-get a singer (they're the best machines ever) watch a few youtube videos-if you have an arts and craft store-perhaps they offer classes on sewing

good luck

lovenMyfamily
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:39 AM

It is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. I started with a brother, but I also have an old school singer. They come with instructions, but I would also recommend one of the classes... my mil taught me how to use mine and it was a lot easier than trying to understand the instructions.. however now days most come with dvd instructions.

Also, at fabric stores or fabric departments, fabric is normally sold by the yard. So when you see a price on the end of a bundle of fabric, that's how much it is per yard. You just take it to the fabric counter and tell the person how many yards you want and they cut it for you. When I first started sewing I wasn't sure how to buy fabric, so I thought I'd throw that in here for good measure. :)

packersgirl78
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I think it's easier to learn if you have a real person demonstrating for you  - videos are great, but unless they use the exact same machine as the one you're working on, it will get very confusing. I learned when I was in 4th grade, so I think anybody can do it :)

As for recommending a brand, I've had my Necchi for over 30 years. It's a workhorse - nothing is computerized, but it has a lot of useful stitch options, including buttonholes. And it's metal, not plastic, so it's going to last for many more years.

happykitty316
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I was never able to use a sewing machine.  I can sew by hand, but the machine I just never got right.

mysticmom90
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:19 PM

All the new ones make it super easy. once you get the basic machanics down you can do all your household mending.

huntersmom1007
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:01 PM

I have been able to sew since Junior High.  It is not hard to sew.  Sometimes the hardest part is threading the machine.  You need to read the instructions and make sure you get the tightness right or you could continually break the thread or if it is too loose make a jumbled mess.  Once you get that part down it is actually easy to sew. 

GhettoKoolAide
by Lighthouse Blues on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:02 PM
I'm no good with a machine so I sew things by hand.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)