Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do people rush their kids to the doctor over simple colds or flu??? *EDIT*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 441 Replies
9 moms liked this

I just watched Everybody Loves Raymond and the kids were sick so Ray brought them into the doctor right away for a simple cold and I've seen moms on here be the same way. Your child does not need to go to the doctor for a fever, cough, runny nose, etc. Unless it's a super high fever or a cough that won't go away for days, your child doesn't need to go in! Why oh why do parents think their child needs to see the doctor for being sick? The doctor can't do anything. It just has to run its course. It just wastes their time. They check the child out, confirm they have a cold or the flu, suggest fluids and rest and send you on your way. Totally unnecessary. It's so annoying.

*I knew that like 90% of you wouldn't read or comprehend what I said, so let me put it more clearly. UNLESS YOUR CHILD HAS A COMPROMISED IMMUNE SYSTEM OR SPECIAL MEDICAL CONDITION, OR UNLESS THEY ARE NOT GETTING BETTER, they do not need to go in for a sniffle or a little fever. I am not talking about the kids who have asthma or some other medical condition that puts them at high risk!!!!! If they are at risk of dying due to certain conditions or if they aren't better after a few days or have a very high fever, then sure, take them in. I am not talking about that. I'm talking about parents who rush their kids to the doctor over a SIMPLE COLD. It is NOT an emergency, and there is NOTHING a doctor can or will do for it!!!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:43 PM
11 moms liked this
Are you not aware that the flu can kill people? Well, complications from the flu.
momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:44 PM
11 moms liked this
Colds and flus can quickly complicate into bronchitis and pneumonia. So I'm gonna provide my children with the best care to avoid that. It already happened to my oldest one and it was horrible, I'm not risking it again.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:45 PM
5 moms liked this

You must forget when you were a new Mom. Do you not remember the feeling of "what the fuck do I do"?

lucsch
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:45 PM

My dh does that. He insists the kids have to go in for an antibiotic every time they get sick. He also takes his temperature all the time when he is sick.  Granted, he gets bronchitis a lot himself, so he is always sure every cold the kids have will be bronchitis or an ear infection.

Anonymous
8 moms liked this

Unless you are an infant, elderly or have underlying health issues- you should have nothing to worry about. Take lots of Vitamin C and D, get lots of fluids and rest.

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you not aware that the flu can kill people? Well, complications from the flu.

ChgIsGood2012
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:45 PM

I would think most mom's do it b/c they want to make sure the child is okay and they don't know what to do at home. Sometimes, it's a lack of education and fear that something worse may happen to the child(ren) if they don't get them professionally checked out. I used to run to the doc for every small thing with my son when he was like 5 or 6, but once I got educated on the fact that 'doc can fix a cold', then I started picking my battles...

Anonymous
I agree with you 100%
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:46 PM
3 moms liked this
Seriously who cares. It is my money, if I wanna take my kid to the doctor every day, I will. It is none of your business and doctors certainly arent complaining
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Yes I'm aware. Again, I said if it's a high fever or the child isn't getting better. If your child is relatively healthy though with a normal immune system, THEY AREN'T GOING TO DO ANYTHING! They will say fluids and rest and send you home. It's unnecessary.

Quoting Anonymous:

A.B.C.brown07
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:46 PM
I'm at the hospital right now with my daughter because she has been running high fevers all day. I'm sorry that I don't have a lab in my house where I can run a flu swab test. They just came back and told me she tested positive for the flu
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)