Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

dd doesn't sleep at night

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:15 AM
  • 55 Replies
She falls asleep aeound 3am and stays asleep till about 10am. So she gets her rest, but isn't going to bed on time. We've eliminated naps but it doesn't help. She's 3.

I've done melatonin but I'm not really a fan. I'd rather find a way to adjust her lifestyle, not use supplements. I'd feel better if her little body could do the adjusting.

We're sleep freaks. We're big on it bc dh has a major-and very rare sleep disorder. So we're doing all the basics right... just curious if anyone has dealt with similar. Maybe something we haven't tried.

Its been like this for about a year. And its almost every night. Her ped. Just keeps suggesting melatonin. Or the usual stuff... which we already have been doing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MiasMommy6908
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:17 AM
No suggestions but I'm going through the exact same thing with my 4 yr old and its to the point I get no sleep she lays down at 9 and gets up every 20 min or so till atleast 1
juniebug11
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:19 AM
My dd is 19 months , she hardly ever sleeps .... Ever! She never has , since she's been born. Some nights we just hardly sleep. Sometimes ( very rare) she'll sleep all night.

Nothing helps. She's had lots of ear infections and now her teeth are coming in ( there coming in late) so I have her tylonel tonight but it prob won't help anything.

Good luck ! If you find an answer let me know ! Lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:19 AM
2 moms liked this

Try waking her up at 7 AM and keep her up.  Im pretty sure she will go to sleep before 3am......

KaroGreenly
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:20 AM
1 mom liked this

My 3 year old uses a weighted blanket because, well, she doesn't sleep without it.

We got hers from SensaCalm.

Best. Thing. Ever.

livn4hevn
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:24 AM
It's torture! We do all the normal things. Regular bedtime, consistent routine, good room temp, no tv or anything like that before bed... it worries me! She's not even drowsy. Wide awake and totally active. I spent three months just staying up with her, then we adjusted her diet, her daily activities etc. Now I use melatonin when I absolutely have to, but I really hate it. No 3 year old should need a sleep aide!

Quoting MiasMommy6908:

No suggestions but I'm going through the exact same thing with my 4 yr old and its to the point I get no sleep she lays down at 9 and gets up every 20 min or so till atleast 1

LavenderMom23
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Melatonin isn't a sleep aid it resets your body. I went to pediatric with a similar problem for my oldest and she said benadryl was safest 30 min before bedtime. My DD was two at the time.
MiasMommy6908
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:28 AM
My dd is the same way at 2am bouncing off the walls I just don't get it the Dr said to just make her lay down ...but its so not that easy

Quoting livn4hevn:

It's torture! We do all the normal things. Regular bedtime, consistent routine, good room temp, no tv or anything like that before bed... it worries me! She's not even drowsy. Wide awake and totally active. I spent three months just staying up with her, then we adjusted her diet, her daily activities etc. Now I use melatonin when I absolutely have to, but I really hate it. No 3 year old should need a sleep aide!

Quoting MiasMommy6908:

livn4hevn
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:28 AM
We did that a handful of times. Its hard on everyone and it only works for one night. The next night she's back on her usual schedule. And its too stressful to do it for a week or whatever. Its hard on the whole family and messes everyone up. I can't do that. It's just not effective enough to make it worth it. And several of the doctors i have talked to regarding my husband's sleep disorder have urged me not to deny sleep to a baby her size. It's not good for them.

Quoting Anonymous:

Try waking her up at 7 AM and keep her up.  Im pretty sure she will go to sleep before 3am......

BelleVernonGirl
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:31 AM
2 moms liked this

You have to do it every night...it will be effective...you want an instant fix and your not going to get one...

Quoting livn4hevn:

We did that a handful of times. Its hard on everyone and it only works for one night. The next night she's back on her usual schedule. And its too stressful to do it for a week or whatever. Its hard on the whole family and messes everyone up. I can't do that. It's just not effective enough to make it worth it. And several of the doctors i have talked to regarding my husband's sleep disorder have urged me not to deny sleep to a baby her size. It's not good for them.

Quoting Anonymous:

livn4hevn
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:36 AM
It is a natural supplement that isn't regulated by the fda and her body should be able to produce plenty on its own. Unless you have some kind of neurological disorder (like dh). So id rather her body do what it is meant to do naturally and not depend on supplements or medication. It's a personal thing. Like drinking water and napping to cure a headache; instead of aspirin.

I'm not totally against it cuz I do use it. And pediatricians are generally trustworthy on these things. I'm just not a fan.

Quoting LavenderMom23:

Melatonin isn't a sleep aid it resets your body. I went to pediatric with a similar problem for my oldest and she said benadryl was safest 30 min before bedtime. My DD was two at the time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)