Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nerd Girl Problem- Readers come in here!

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:51 AM
  • 29 Replies

So, I just finished up a really fun fantasy series. I loved it so much, and I ate it up. It took me less than two weeks to read all 6 books because they were so engrossing. The author has a trilogy out now that is a "prequel" to the series. Here is the problem: Upon reading the reviews, I found out that in the beginning of the first book, a newborn boy is murdered, and then he becomes a vengeful ghost. Ever since DS was born (he is 14 months) I absolutely can't handle things with babies dying. It's just too upsetting because to me it seems very real. I had a bit of PPD after he was born, and one of the main ways it manifested was that I feared for his life. I mean I was so scared I wouldn't let him sleep, I would stand over his crib and just watch him. (I was on antidepressants for a few months as a result of the PPD). However, the rest of the review goes on to say how even though it's dark, it's an awesome book. Wwyd? 

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:53 AM
O.o
Kaya529
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:55 AM
I have a similar problem but not as extreme. I also have a very difficult time seeing any child die in movies. I end up crying because of it. I also realize that I can't hide away from that and just push through it. Just read the book. It might suck at that part but once you get past it you will be fine and enjoy the rest of the book.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:55 AM

It's a damn book, it's not a real kid. Get over it. 

hlzcmjzajz
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:56 AM
I think if it's going to upset you that much, find another book. No matter how good a book is, it's not worth risking your mental health.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
southernwldchld
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:57 AM

What book?

squeekers
by squeekers on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:59 AM

I would choose to NOT read it. leave it for when ds is older and then see if you are still interested in reading it.

I'm an atheistic Humanist.
I love being opinionated about a lot of things.
SAHM of one teen DD. Married since 1989.
Awarenesses I follow: Epilepsy & Down Syndrome.
I am: Lactose & Alcohol intolerant.
PitbullPrincess
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:00 AM

I would be the same way, but that said, it's a book.  So much worse happens in life.

TAG_ur_it
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:00 AM

i'm interested to know the series.  as long as it's not like twilight...

i'm jonesing for a new series since the one i'm completely obsessed with won't have a new book out until late this year. 

AdryF
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:02 AM
Hmmm, I can relate. I usually avoid moives with that theme. However in a book it may be o.k. Maybe try to read it but if you can't don't beat yourself up about it. Do you mind me asking what author?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:03 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

It's a damn book, it's not a real kid. Get over it. 

Some people become more engrossed then others. It's not uncommon to feel real grief or pain because of a characters death.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)