Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you think children's names affect what kind of job they will have?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Children with names funny names. Oddly spelled names? Ect.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:02 AM
Replies (41-50):
MommyLanie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:31 AM

Yes I think it does, depending on where they are looking to be employed.  Someone named Bon Qui Qui or Lamontisha will have a harder time getting a job.  It's not right but I have seen resumes and applications with these type of names go into the circular file for nothing more than their name.  We still have a long way to go. There is an assumption that if you have that type of name your not educated.  

MumsTheWord571
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:34 AM

absolutely. I have seen studies that say that if the employer cannot read the name, or if they are typical "ethnic" names they are less likely to be even called in for an interview.

My kids have nice, easily spelled, easily pronounceable, and nuetral names for this reason.

MommyLanie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:35 AM

Here are two I found.

http://www.careersolvers.com/blog/2011/10/03/is-your-name-hurting-your-chances-of-landing-a-job/ 

http://www.examiner.com/article/is-your-black-name-hurting-your-chances-of-being-hired

Quoting Jers.:

There was actually a study published about this - I will have to  look for it, but it basically said that yes, your child's name can significantly affect their professional life.

angelmj
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:39 AM
My mom named me Angel, I guess I should be dancing on a pole. Lol (:
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:40 AM

If my son doesn't end up building an ark I will be sorely disappointed.

And my daughter had damned well better be a ballerina with a nutcracker

bluedolly01
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:50 AM
Really? So would you actually employ someone whos name was Anarchy?

Yes I really know someone who called their son this.

Do think that prospective employers will get past that name on a job application?

Quoting thatgirl70:

I don't, but I know this post is going to be flooded with responses that say otherwise. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sucker4myloves
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:51 AM

Let's be honest guys, nobody named Zweeble or Sugarbean is going to be taken seriously.

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!

REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

DieselsMom
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:52 AM

My son's name is Diesel James....I don't think it will effect him at all...although a lot of people have a stereotype about it...my oldest is Mikey so he will have no issues at all!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 18 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:55 AM
My sister marquesses was told by someone who worked for her college to apply for jobs using her middle name. Because her name made her look getto
OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know I am reading some of the responses from people worried about the names of people who have passed through their desk, they should probably be more concered about their grammar and not Tyquan's name.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)