Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What are your thoughts on....

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:09 AM
  • 16 Replies

Monster drinks, Amps or whatever else is out there on that level and teens drinking them.

Evidently this is a big issue in my house I think they are horrible, a hundred times worse than any soda.

My kids want them, I won't buy them.  My friend and her kids who live with us, she doesn't care if her 13 and 15 yr old drink them.  her 15 year old asked my son who is 16 and running to the gas station if he would get her one and he did and brought it into my house and paid for it with MY money!!! I was furious.  I told them that they were not allowed in my house, they will rot your teeth, your stomach, stunt your growth, anything I could think of to get them to stop drinking them.  I don't approve of teens drinking coffee either. Of course they wont and I feel like the wicked bitch of the west with all 4 of the kids on different issues that their mom doesn't give a shit about I find to be issues that I don't think teens should be doing.  So of course if her kids are allowed my kids think they should be allowed and my kids are getting resentful. 

Do you feel the monster drinks should be on the NONO factor and I have the right as a parent to put my foot down or am I just being a bitch about it and not worth the battle.  Please be honest

1. Soda/coffee/monster/amp drinks

2. chores

3. being gone after school for hours without checking in, thats after coming home and doing homework (but not studying)

4. electronics overuse

5.  grounding over grades and how long should they be grounded for and what to be grounded from

6. forcing the studying especially because of low grades

7.  smart mouth/back talk/cursing/anything along those lines

Those are a few off the top of my head that drive me nuts, that my kids are resentful of because I lay down the law and she doesn't.

these kids are 13boy (5th grade)hers, 14girl (7th) mine, 15 girl (9th)hers and 16boy (11th) mine.

yes I know, a 13 yr old in 5th grade, he got held back twice and if they dont push him thru he will be a 14 yr old in 5th because of his grades, her daughter got held back once and my daughter got held back once.  Right now her daughter seems to be doing ok as far as her grades go, she seems more focused about what she wants to do with her life. 

My son and her son are the problems with grades.  my daughter, is a whole nother ball game, she is doing ok but not great, spends 4 days in the free after school tutoring program.  Her son and my daughter both have IEP's (individual education plans) due to learning disabilities.  However the powers that be in the wonderful state of Florida has decided to do away with the ESE classes to help students who have disabilities because they don't want them to get bullied and singled out.  SO they are mainstreamed into regular classes and they have extra teachers that go from class to class to help them and any other student as needed.

Ack I know this is long so I will stop now :)  thanks for your input

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:19 AM
I agree with you that energy drinks aren't the best thing, but just to be honest...I think you sound a little over the top about it. Though I know you want what's best for your children :)
Not trying to argue, just curious- why do you think they're so much worse than soda? Soda can do everything you mentioned energy drinks will do. The big difference is caffeine level. I mean, a few occasional energy drinks wont hurt them, but I'm not sure if there's a reason to drink them besides caffeine or thirst. Compared to soda, at least energy drinks have more daily vitamin percentages.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:27 AM

My thoughts are probably more in line with yours than hers. I do let my older teens drink coffee. I think the monster/amp/energy drinks can be dangerous with the high levels of caffeine in them. I'm ok with soda, too; however, my kids have given those up on their own. My kids make great grades, so that isn't an issue. They do chores as I ask them, but honestly I don't ask much. I'm happy if they do whatever I ask without argument. An example is I asked my 18yo senior to clean his bathroom yesterday. He said, "Ok," and then did it. I don't make him always do it. It is more about the attitude than anything. None of my kids swear. I don't get onto them about their electronics use because they make such great grades. <shrug> I think it would be difficult combining two households with widely differing opinions on expectations in child rearing. Good luck!

Jebekarue
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:46 AM

My strong dislike for energy drinks escalated during football season. 

My son is in band and during the first football game 9 band members from the other team collapsed after marching their performance on the field.  One actually went down ON the field, 1 while coming off and was still on the turf, and the rest were on the track heading back to the stands.  They had to call in 4 ambulances. 5 were treated and released on the scene, 4 went to the hospital.  ALL of them admitted to having drank AT LEAST one of those drinks at some point during the day.  now, of the 4 that went to the hospital one already had medical issues, another had just had surgery a few weeks before and probably marched too soon.  the other 2 did not eat or drink enough throughout the day to stay hydrated (August, Florida it was hot as blue blazes) 

The other 5 drank the drinks but ate and drank other things throughout the day.  Thankfully everyone turned out ok due to the quick responses of the band parents, team doctors, Andrews Institute who stays for all the games in case of injuries and of course the ambulance and paramedics who always come to the games anyway.  It scared the shit out of me and we watched our band kids like hawkes the rest of the night.  thankfully none of our band kids had any problems that night.  The following Monday the band director talked to the principal about what happened and they made an announcement over the intercom about how dangerous the drinks are.  Of course kids are going to be kids and drink them behind our backs.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree with you that energy drinks aren't the best thing, but just to be honest...I think you sound a little over the top about it. Though I know you want what's best for your children :)
Not trying to argue, just curious- why do you think they're so much worse than soda? Soda can do everything you mentioned energy drinks will do. The big difference is caffeine level. I mean, a few occasional energy drinks wont hurt them, but I'm not sure if there's a reason to drink them besides caffeine or thirst. Compared to soda, at least energy drinks have more daily vitamin percentages.

Adored45
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:51 AM

Good luck with that...they can't eat or drink what's not in your house...saying no means they'll get it from a dealer...yep and that to leads to other things you can get when the padres say no! Boundaries and limitations are the key....saying no is plain stupid..

theresaphilly
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:53 AM

Not big on energy drinks for children. My kids have more than enough energy to boot. Damn 13 years old in the 5th grade. Oh my goodness he must be embarrassed!

horseap
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:58 AM

My kids are too little for energy drinks.  They love coffee though.  Hubby and I drink energy drinks.  I work 3rd shift(Im working right now) and hes a SAHD.  If our DD doesnt want to go to bed and he doesnt get to sleep until say 4am then he drags ass during the day so I can sleep.  Its a necessary evil.  I think its OK... for teens to have them ONCE in a while.  Drinking them before a game, if its HOT out, or physical/ adrenaline inducing activity NOPE!  Thats not what they are for and it can cause problems.  I think you may be overboard but if it works for you then so be it.  Not my kids, not my say.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:58 AM
1 mom liked this

It's too long for me to read at the moment. I would like to see energy drinks with an age requirement. (18+ IMO). I work in a convinience store and have lost count nightly on how many kids come in and buy and energy drink multiply through the night. I'm an adult and consume them on a rare occasion when I need to have a little more pep in my step. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:01 AM

I think its hilarious that it was the band to get in trouble!  Thats a wild and crazy bunch right there! 

Quoting Jebekarue:

My strong dislike for energy drinks escalated during football season. 

My son is in band and during the first football game 9 band members from the other team collapsed after marching their performance on the field.  One actually went down ON the field, 1 while coming off and was still on the turf, and the rest were on the track heading back to the stands.  They had to call in 4 ambulances. 5 were treated and released on the scene, 4 went to the hospital.  ALL of them admitted to having drank AT LEAST one of those drinks at some point during the day.  now, of the 4 that went to the hospital one already had medical issues, another had just had surgery a few weeks before and probably marched too soon.  the other 2 did not eat or drink enough throughout the day to stay hydrated (August, Florida it was hot as blue blazes) 

The other 5 drank the drinks but ate and drank other things throughout the day.  Thankfully everyone turned out ok due to the quick responses of the band parents, team doctors, Andrews Institute who stays for all the games in case of injuries and of course the ambulance and paramedics who always come to the games anyway.  It scared the shit out of me and we watched our band kids like hawkes the rest of the night.  thankfully none of our band kids had any problems that night.  The following Monday the band director talked to the principal about what happened and they made an announcement over the intercom about how dangerous the drinks are.  Of course kids are going to be kids and drink them behind our backs.

Quoting Anonymous:

RissyLee
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:04 AM
I think energy drinks are horrible. I don't have them in my house. I don't drink them because I think they're awful and they make my tremors way worse, and I don't want my son drinking them. Right now he's only 2, but I hope he doesn't ever want to drink them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jebekarue
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:13 AM

Technically by the rules of having an IEP once you are held back they are not suppose to hold you back again.  Well his grades were so bad they had no choice.  Just by spending the last 6 months with them its not that he is not intelligent, he just doesn't care, is lazy, pissed, depressed, angry, and I think with all they have been thru the last couple of years family wise I can understand why and then for the school system to let him down too?  I talked to my friend and she is talking about getting him in counseling after they get settled in their new place.  The child has a lot of anger built up and doesn't know how to work through it yet.  He is a smart kid, he does have some learning disabilities though, but at this point he is just not even trying because he is mad they held him back again.  He is the only freakin 5th grader that shaves, the boy has more hair under his pits than my son does now at almost 17!!!  My heart goes out to him because first chance he gets he is going to quit school, he is smoking, and probably doing alot of other things a 13 yr old shouldn't even be thinking about.  He started coughing this evening and my husband was like ooooh a 13 yr old with smokers cough, hows that working for ya?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN