Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What are your thoughts on....

Posted by   + Show Post

Monster drinks, Amps or whatever else is out there on that level and teens drinking them.

Evidently this is a big issue in my house I think they are horrible, a hundred times worse than any soda.

My kids want them, I won't buy them.  My friend and her kids who live with us, she doesn't care if her 13 and 15 yr old drink them.  her 15 year old asked my son who is 16 and running to the gas station if he would get her one and he did and brought it into my house and paid for it with MY money!!! I was furious.  I told them that they were not allowed in my house, they will rot your teeth, your stomach, stunt your growth, anything I could think of to get them to stop drinking them.  I don't approve of teens drinking coffee either. Of course they wont and I feel like the wicked bitch of the west with all 4 of the kids on different issues that their mom doesn't give a shit about I find to be issues that I don't think teens should be doing.  So of course if her kids are allowed my kids think they should be allowed and my kids are getting resentful. 

Do you feel the monster drinks should be on the NONO factor and I have the right as a parent to put my foot down or am I just being a bitch about it and not worth the battle.  Please be honest

1. Soda/coffee/monster/amp drinks

2. chores

3. being gone after school for hours without checking in, thats after coming home and doing homework (but not studying)

4. electronics overuse

5.  grounding over grades and how long should they be grounded for and what to be grounded from

6. forcing the studying especially because of low grades

7.  smart mouth/back talk/cursing/anything along those lines

Those are a few off the top of my head that drive me nuts, that my kids are resentful of because I lay down the law and she doesn't.

these kids are 13boy (5th grade)hers, 14girl (7th) mine, 15 girl (9th)hers and 16boy (11th) mine.

yes I know, a 13 yr old in 5th grade, he got held back twice and if they dont push him thru he will be a 14 yr old in 5th because of his grades, her daughter got held back once and my daughter got held back once.  Right now her daughter seems to be doing ok as far as her grades go, she seems more focused about what she wants to do with her life. 

My son and her son are the problems with grades.  my daughter, is a whole nother ball game, she is doing ok but not great, spends 4 days in the free after school tutoring program.  Her son and my daughter both have IEP's (individual education plans) due to learning disabilities.  However the powers that be in the wonderful state of Florida has decided to do away with the ESE classes to help students who have disabilities because they don't want them to get bullied and singled out.  SO they are mainstreamed into regular classes and they have extra teachers that go from class to class to help them and any other student as needed.

Ack I know this is long so I will stop now :)  thanks for your input

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:09 AM
Replies (11-16):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:17 AM
Well that all seems to be valid reasoning. But yes, if they really want to, they'll probably drink them.
Arguments sake for your side- I think they actually are addicting in their own way. Its probably best just to not drink them at all. I think I may be addicted to them myself...I used to have 4 or 5 a day, and if I didn't I would drag ass alllllll day long. The amount of drinks just kept increasing. I'm at least down to one a day or a few a week now.
I hope after what happened to the band your kids wont really want to drink them that badly.

Quoting Jebekarue:

My strong dislike for energy drinks escalated during football season. 

My son is in band and during the first football game 9 band members from the other team collapsed after marching their performance on the field.  One actually went down ON the field, 1 while coming off and was still on the turf, and the rest were on the track heading back to the stands.  They had to call in 4 ambulances. 5 were treated and released on the scene, 4 went to the hospital.  ALL of them admitted to having drank AT LEAST one of those drinks at some point during the day.  now, of the 4 that went to the hospital one already had medical issues, another had just had surgery a few weeks before and probably marched too soon.  the other 2 did not eat or drink enough throughout the day to stay hydrated (August, Florida it was hot as blue blazes) 

The other 5 drank the drinks but ate and drank other things throughout the day.  Thankfully everyone turned out ok due to the quick responses of the band parents, team doctors, Andrews Institute who stays for all the games in case of injuries and of course the ambulance and paramedics who always come to the games anyway.  It scared the shit out of me and we watched our band kids like hawkes the rest of the night.  thankfully none of our band kids had any problems that night.  The following Monday the band director talked to the principal about what happened and they made an announcement over the intercom about how dangerous the drinks are.  Of course kids are going to be kids and drink them behind our backs.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree with you that energy drinks aren't the best thing, but just to be honest...I think you sound a little over the top about it. Though I know you want what's best for your children :)

Not trying to argue, just curious- why do you think they're so much worse than soda? Soda can do everything you mentioned energy drinks will do. The big difference is caffeine level. I mean, a few occasional energy drinks wont hurt them, but I'm not sure if there's a reason to drink them besides caffeine or thirst. Compared to soda, at least energy drinks have more daily vitamin percentages.

TAG_ur_it
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:19 AM

i think that even though she and her kids are living with you, you have no right to tell them they can't have a particular drink (aside from alcohol).  let her decide that. (buying it with your money was out of line though. the kid should have given him a $5 or something instead) you can't act like her kids are yours.  

an occasional soda is not going to harm you child.  if you restrict them that hard, they're going to go nuts once they get out from under your roof.  i'm fortunate that my grandmother didn't have such harsh restrictions on me (though the studying and homework one would have done me some good).  but i was very restricted before i moved in with her.  if it had continued, i know i would have gone buckwild once i graduated. especially since i went a little nuts when i got my first taste of freedom when they let me join the flag corp.  with my grandmother, i was allowed to come and go, but i had to tell her where i was going. usually i'd tell her in the morning that i would probably go to a friend's house after school. or after practice. i had that freedom and no longer felt like i had to squeeze in all the experiences at once.  i stayed out of trouble, i didn't have sex, i've never done drugs.  i didn't smoke until after my divorce.  and even now, at 31 almost 32, i'm not much of a drinker. 

teal_phoenix
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:22 AM

I drink them now and then. Dh drinks them more often. Our kids are too small for them but when they are teens it won't be something we will be giving them. They will have to be 18.

Jebekarue
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:44 AM

I don't say no to the soda, heck they drink more soda than I do. I hate it but i guess its better than those energy drinks.  I do wish they would make it 18 or older to purchase though.  I have laid off on alot of stuff that I don't think is that big of deal to gripe about, because i remember kids from when I was growing up whose parents were hardasses about everything.  Those kids drank, smoked, did drugs, had sex, when they had any chance they got to get out and away from their parents thats what they did.  So I understand about pushing them away by being too adamant. 

As far as trying to be a mother to her kids, I don't try to be intentionally, I know they are not mine.  Hell their mom might as well not even be here in the house since she is always closed up in one of the bedrooms (hypochondriac for starters).  But it pisses me off that my kids are picking up the shit that they are pulling with their mother and she lets them get away with everything.  When they first moved in she would do their chores so they wouldn't have too, then she started not feeling well and started holing up in my daughters bedroom during the day.  She has been in the bed for 2 1/2 weeks now only coming out to eat , drink, potty and shower.  She is coming out a little more now that her medicine is finally leveling out.  I am out in the living area of the house every day, I know who walks in the door when, I know what they do when they get home, I know who does what homework/study, and chores.

They have had a really rough time and my heart goes out to them, they all are in need of serious counseling, if we hadn't let them move in they would have been on the street, not in some hotel, not in their car (her exes girlfriend totalled her car) so she no longer has a car, All I want to try to do is offer some suggestions that might offer some protection for her kids.  Her daughter told me the other day "I don't give a shit what mistakes other people made. I want to be free to make my own mistakes even if they are the same ones other people made".  What the hell kind of sense does that make? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Dh and I are against energy drinks for kids. The max recommend allowance of caffeine in adolescent is 100mg. Tge highest caffeine contain for soda is Mt Dew with 55 mg per 12 oz. But a Monster is 160 mg per 16oz can(which most don't realize is supposed to be 2 servings), Full Throttle and Amp are 72-74 mg per, and Rockstar is 80 mg per 8oz. 8 OZ is considered one serving, but these are packaged in multi setting cans anywhere from 2-3 servings.one can well exceeds 100 mg. Redbull is 80 mg for a 2oz energy shot, 5 hr energy over 200. Dh and I think you should have to be 18 to buy, just like cigarettes
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ksueditz
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:36 AM
I have forbidden energy drinks as well. My 16 y/o isn't really into them, but my 13 y/o likes Monster, I tell him I would prefer he not drink them and offer to buy him a Dr Pepper instead. I know energy drinks give ME the shakes, to the point I can't use my hands.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN