Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do the uninsured do it??? My son is sick. :(

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 56 Replies
1 mom liked this
We are between insurances right now. My son is being put on his step-dad's insurance. There's a process to this. He was formerly on state insurance and that lapsed, didn't get the information submitted on time. (long story!) We decided to forget about getting him back on state insurance and just hurry up with the other thing.

To make a long story short. My little boy is coughing. Two days of fever that went away today. Tons mucus. Sometimes the cough barks. Other time its nonexistant. Mucus is turning green. So, please throw any tricks, homepathetic remedies, herbs, vitamins, or anything natural, non prescription, and totally OTC/accessible... make sure it's legit. :P

If I have to, we will pay out of our pocket. We don't really have the money to spend, but will if we must. First, before it gets worse, help me make him better. PLEASE.

Going to bed... will check when I wake up. Ignore mispells. I'm pressed for time.

Oh, and he is 4 years old.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AA2.0
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:51 AM

Most children without private insurance are on state insurance. My state doesn't ask me for paperwork for DD's state insurance, they just send me a letter every year or so that she's still covered. Sorry I'm not more help.

TAG_ur_it
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:53 AM

i thought i read somewhere on here that vaporub on the feet helps. *googled it and confirmed*  honey helps with a cough. spicy foods help with congestion. i suck on peppermints when i don't have cough drops.  have you tried childrens mucinex? warm tea with honey and lemon will help soothe his throat if it's sore from the coughing. all of these are safe for a 4 year old (barring allergies), though most don't like spicy foods.  

BelleVernonGirl
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:55 AM

Take him to the ER then turn the bill into the PA office after you get it...

zomgkerrie
by Geek Goddess on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:57 AM
Garlic has natural antibiotic properties. Cayenne helps with congestion. The lemon and honey soothe cough and sore throat. This is my magic hippy potion: the juice of 3 lemons. Can sub bottled lemon juice but fresh is best. 1 cup water. 1/8 tsp cayenne. 6 cloves of garlic---- you will want to smash them with a spoon to open but not so much they are minced. Pour in mug. Microwave til hot. Strain out cloves of garlic. Honey to taste. Since he is young you will reeeeeeeallllly want to go easy on the cayenne. Hope this helps!
peaches_04
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:57 AM
Minute clinics.....way cheaper then normal clinics
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
1lv2stks3nlz4ev
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:57 AM

Lemon tea with honey in it and/or honey and cinnamon mixed together. 1 tbsp honey 1/4 tsp cinnamon. It works. I double up his Vitamin C chewables when my guy gets cold/fluish.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:58 AM

For now I would try to find an urgent care to take him to because they are usually cheaper then an actual doctors office. 

Jebekarue
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:58 AM

Is it just a cough now?  nasal drainage out the nose or down the throat, you might want to try a nettie pot (make sure you use distilled water and not tap), if its going down his throat that could be the cause of the cough.  Triaminic is good and has for cough only or a mixture of stuff for various symptoms.  As far as green probably needs an antibiotic. Vicks vapo rub on the chest to help loosen it up.  sit in the bathroom on the floor with him with the door closed turn the water on hot and let the steam help loosen him up bring in a book and read to him. Sit in there for about 15-20 minutes, the longer the better.

Hope he feels better soon

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:59 AM
If you have a pediatrician you see regularly, ask if they have an "in-between insurances" form. Some pediatricians will have you sign it and they'll bill your insurance carrier when it's in effect.
DieselsMom
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:59 AM

are you stupid??? THIS is why people should be charged if they go to the ER and it is not a true emergency!!! OP I would try a walk in clinic....since it doesn't sound like he is in danger of needing immediate assistance!

Quoting BelleVernonGirl:

Take him to the ER then turn the bill into the PA office after you get it...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN