Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My mom won't stop pestering me * PiCS ADDED*

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:00 AM
  • 170 Replies
1 mom liked this

About my 8 yr olds weight. I can't stand it. My son is a stocky kid, and I am watching what and how much he eats, but my mom has taken it too far. Every time we talk she makes it a point to bring up his weight. Now she even does it, and she will even say it too my son. His real dad will call him fat, and sometimes he will not want too eat. I've told his real dad, if he doesn't stop w that, I won't let him go anymore. I'm not the type to keep the kids away from their dad, or my mom, but I think if they keep making comments to him, I think they will make him have an eating disorder. Am I overreacting???

* I do allow the kids to have junk food, but it's not out of control. Sometimes I feel like a bad mom, but I know I'm trying with him. I just hate that they tell my son he eats too much! It breaks my heart when he tells me, "my dad, says I'm too fat, I can't eat that today". I hate it Oh and for all the moms bashing me, He does exercise, I do NOT let him eat what he wants, Ive changed his diet and the families, he is active, I do NOT allow him to play video games, i encourage healthy eating and not just with him, but ive done the change for the whole family! I dont ignore the fact that he is over weight, and his doctor has said he is over weight, but im taking all the right steps to change it. I do blame myself, because i do the shopping, the cooking and the lunch packing. I have changed the entire family habbits. I'm 9 months pregnant, so i am as active as i can be with him, and he does an amazing job on his own.

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VintageWife
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:02 AM
6 moms liked this

I think you need to bring it up to the courts that he is verbally abusing him and encouraging eating disorders.

LyTe684
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:02 AM
4 moms liked this

No you're not. They are being assholes. Who the hell wants to give an 8 year old a complex?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:02 AM
Well how much does he weight?!? DS is 6 and he's 66lbs and doesn't even have a "belly" but my niece is 7 and she's 80lb but she's "chubby" I wouldn't call her fat at all just thick.
My friends sisters daughter is 4 and she's if I remember correctly 70lb!! She is so unhealthy it's not even funny
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't think you are over reacting. That is sad that adults need to be told to be nice. My son is a little over weight and we take him swiming and have him eat more fruits and veggie's and say no seconds because we need left overs for tomorrow. But NEVER do we tell him he is fat.
momsince04
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:05 AM
He's about 90 lbs and is 4"4 I know he is a big kid, but isn't in healthy. He boxes every day, likes to eat fruits and veggies. I allow a little bit of soda, but mostly water. If he is still hungry after dinner he will eat fruit. I pack the kids lunches and I do give him junk food, but he's a kid, and I don't think I should take it all away. Or should I??

Quoting Anonymous:

Well how much does he weight?!? DS is 6 and he's 66lbs and doesn't even have a "belly" but my niece is 7 and she's 80lb but she's "chubby" I wouldn't call her fat at all just thick.

My friends sisters daughter is 4 and she's if I remember correctly 70lb!! She is so unhealthy it's not even funny

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lindsayhoy0612
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this
No I think that's fine.... He seems "thick" to me DS is 4'1" and 66lbs so I'm thinking they look similar in size. I would talk to him and to your mom and ex that's not right to make him feel bad about himself.

Quoting momsince04:

He's about 90 lbs and is 4"4 I know he is a big kid, but isn't in healthy. He boxes every day, likes to eat fruits and veggies. I allow a little bit of soda, but mostly water. If he is still hungry after dinner he will eat fruit. I pack the kids lunches and I do give him junk food, but he's a kid, and I don't think I should take it all away. Or should I??

Quoting Anonymous:

iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:09 AM
2 moms liked this
You're going to have to be straightforward with her and tell her to cut it out. Tell her you are dealing with it.

Besides, kids go through a chunky stage at some point before their teen years. No biggie.
momsince04
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Yah I have told my mom and ex to not say anything. I'm not a very nice person or sugar coat things, especially when it comes to my babies. I've told my mom, that if she really thinks I'm a bad mom, and he unhealthy then CPS. She said I was taking this too far.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Stand your ground. When I was growing up, my grandma would make all sorts of comments about my weight. She had me convinced that I was HUGE. At 5:8, I weighed 150 lbs. Granted, when I was a kid, that was large, but it was not huge...I was 5:8 in 4th or 5th grade. She had me convinced that I was enormous. I had such a bad body image that I did start gaining weight because I had lost all concept of what big was.

my4kids274
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I constantly get accused of starving my 10 yo son.  He is skinny as a rail.  He is seeing a nutritionist and she is pleased with his health and his eating habits.  I had one day I had reached the end of my rope with people making comments I went off on a woman.  Yes I yelled!  I said something along the lines of asking her if she would like to switch grocery bills.  My son eats enough during the day to feed 2 growing kids and then some! 

I talked with the nutritionist and she basically told me that if was lethargic, pale and had no energy then there would be a reason for concern on her part but with him and his energy level he is as healthy as a horse and growing and thriving.  He has just always been skinny...even as a baby. 

My point being as long as your child is active and eating correctly then you are fine.  That is also including junk food.  You are doing fine. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)