Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Independent children..?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:42 AM
  • 22 Replies
My DD will be 4 on saturday and she is one of the most independent kids I know. example: this morning she asked for a salami and cheese I told her to wait until I was done cleaning the bathroom. I finish and go to make her food and she already made the sandwhich and poured herself some juice! Her brother who will be 5.Wednesday knows hes supposed to wait for me to get anything from the kitchen. another example: she wanted a fruit snack and I was washing dishes so she gets them herself. I dont know if I should disipline her or be happy that shes not afraid to be independent at such a young age.

Sorry for any typos im mobile and its hard to correct every messup!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2under5.mom
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Bump
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:58 AM

You didn't tell her she couldn't have it, only that you were busy, so no I wouldn't discipline her.

Independence is good - it's what we should all be striving for with our kids.

2under5.mom
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:04 AM
:) thanks cuz my sister says she knows how to do too much at her age. I just dont do every little thing for my kids..if they are able to get something by themselves then I allow them..my sister does everything for her kids who are 14 and 7

Quoting Not_A_Native:

You didn't tell her she couldn't have it, only that you were busy, so no I wouldn't discipline her.

Independence is good - it's what we should all be striving for with our kids.

ccoyle4
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:08 AM
I think it's a good thing. My 4 yo is also pretty independent. He knows how to use the microwave, even though I'm trying to break him of that. I have all of his drinks and snacks in an easy to reach location.
queen_k0302
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:10 AM
My dd is 4 also. She uses the microwave and toaster. I teach my children to be independent. Its important for them to learn this.
2under5.mom
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Yea she thinks she knows how to use the microwave but thats sonething I try and keep her away from lol and I always have to bump her from the front of the stove too lol

Quoting ccoyle4:

I think it's a good thing. My 4 yo is also pretty independent. He knows how to use the microwave, even though I'm trying to break him of that. I have all of his drinks and snacks in an easy to reach location.
TaralynnStewart
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Mine too. She would pop her own popcorn when we watched a movie. It's not hard since its one button but its big for a four yer old

Quoting queen_k0302:

My dd is 4 also. She uses the microwave and toaster. I teach my children to be independent. Its important for them to learn this.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spunky946
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:14 AM
I think it's good to teach independence.
Hot_Badonkadonk
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:16 AM

My son has always been very mature and independent for his age. He's 9 and comes home from school, and will empty the dish washer, pick up the house, feed the dog and let him out to potty, and do his homework before we even get home!

prettymama72106
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:16 AM
I wouldnt punish her you never said she couldnt do it. I have a child like that. Just make sure she knows that there are some things she should not do without you but other than that i say be happy there are far too many kids who cant do the simplest things for themselves
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)