Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I've gone off the deep end... ("expensive" electronics for preschoolers/toddlers)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies

Im thinking about getting my kids tablets for their birthdays.

They are going to be two and four.

They love my Kindle Fire, they both know how to use it very well. They use it for educational apps and netflix. My almost two year old is watching Dora right now, but was playing her shape game before that.

I want my fire back, and I want them to stop fighting over it.

Any reccomendations?

And yeah, I know there are going to be "kids dont need screen time" answers. I agree to a point, but trust me when I say that every kid is different, my kids get PLENTY of no-screen activities and physical play/activity, and they actually learn from the apps. I save all year to give them decent birthday presents, I want to buy them something that will be fun and help them learn.

Technology is such an integral part of today's educational system. I grew up without a computer at home and come fourth grade when we moved back north where kids were being required to have computer lab (down where I lived in the south we didnt have computer lab or anything like that at all, it was a middle school thing) and type our reports... I didnt even know how to do simple typing while my classmates could get 2-3 pages typed during lab, (side note.... DH picks on me because I have NEVER played Oregon Trail, which is apparently something most people our age did in school??) my mom had to get special permission for me to hand in hand written reports because we didnt have a computer and the library in town wasnt open during after school hours (not that she would have taken me). It was awful and embarassing. I was in highschool before I could type more than 15-20 words a minute, and I didnt even know how to use a search engine until I was a junior or senior (reference-I graduated HS in 2005). My kids will learn and know typing and how to use a computer and touch screens and other basic tech skills before they go to school. They need it and it is good for them to be current with what is out there.

So, yeah, back to my point... Any good reccomendations for tablets geared toward younger kids?

And it must be able to take a charge, I am NOT replacing batteries daily. No. 

I might just go with Fires for them... IDK.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CookieMom108
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I have an iPad mini and I love it!  It stays charged for a very long time and it's easy to use.

I'd recommend getting a very sturdy case, no matter which tablet you buy.  My son has a Griffin case for his iPod touch and it's excellent.  Otter is another good brand also.

jenmomx3
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:53 AM

My two year old has a leap pad2 and I love that also the Naby is good for  younger kids....

Hellobabies
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:53 AM

The fires are nice. My kids are 2 and they have the nook tablets and they also use our iPads. We bought them the leap pads but they weren't real crazy about those. I think that tablets are ok in moderation and they have saved our asses a time or two on road trips.

jillbailey26
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I'm not a fan of tablets for kids that young, but I'll give my suggestion anyway.

Get them the newer Kindle Fires.  The HD ones have this app called FreeTime.  You can limit their usage and only allow certain apps within the app.  So if you set the time limit for apps for 1 hour, they only play their games or whatever for one hour.  Then it resets the following day.  It limits their time and it's not something you have to hover over them about.  

There are also TONS of free children's books for Kindle.  Probably a bunch of reading apps too, to help them with reading.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

JazzyMommyx3
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:54 AM
They have tablets built for kids... theres one thats set up to be able to block internet and such. I would search and link but I am.moble..

look up "Tablets for kids" and read the reviews!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:54 AM
We got our DD5 a "kids style tablet" it is geared toward kids, has parental locks, books, games, learning stuff, you get weekly "progress reports", you can block characters you don't like. It is great and she loves it. It's a Ematic Funtab, got it at Walmart.com
bnj03
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:56 AM

My brother got my DD a nabi2. It is wonderful. It is password protected so they can't download apps or pay for them without permission. It is educational based. It only allows them to go to kid friendly websites. It can be dropped from 7 feet and still work perfect (watched a youtube video on it). My DD tried stuffing oranges in the plug in spots and it did nothing to it. This is the best tablet I have ever seen for kids. My DD is going to be 4 and has had it for about 4 months now and she hasn't even came close to destroying it. She even stepped on it and the screen is still perfect.

http://www.nabitablet.com/

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:56 AM

definitely investing in an awesome case for whatever I choose. I have a decent case for my fire and there are still times where I panic and take it from the kids becasue I just know they are going to drop it! 

I was thinking of minis for them, or a mini for me and handing down the fire to one and getting another for the other.... How are the parental controls? I have caught DD buying apps before I locked down mine.

Quoting CookieMom108:

I have an iPad mini and I love it!  It stays charged for a very long time and it's easy to use.

I'd recommend getting a very sturdy case, no matter which tablet you buy.  My son has a Griffin case for his iPod touch and it's excellent.  Otter is another good brand also.

hddcooper
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:56 AM
I remember playing Oregon Trail! Wow. Haven't thought about that in forever. So generic compared to today's games.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I would stick with the Fire. Where I work, many of the "kid friendly" tablets are being returned because of many issues. I have seen Meeps, Tabeos, Nabis, and other lower end tablets being returned. Some at very high return rates.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)