Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Pitbull question....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 68 Replies
1 mom liked this

Though this may sound like I'm being an ass, I'm really not trying to be.  This whole "pit bull" movement thing..... what's the deal?  I understand the fighting rings and how that's terrible.... but the fact that people are claiming that pit bulls are totally gentle?   I don't get it.  I mean..... they don't use grey hounds or spaniels as police dogs for a reason.  They don't use dalmations as hunters.  They don't use pomeranians as drug sniffing dogs.  There's certain traits in animals that are genetic.  Pit bulls have an aggression bred in them.  Not that they are practically terrorist dogs like others claim.... but to completely be assured that it's never going to come out - how can anyone be okay with that?  I understand the nanny dog thing as well, but some of this stuff is way too extreme.  I'm perfectly open to responses, as I really am trying to understand it a bit more.  I wouldn't leave any dog unattended with my young children.... especially breeds that have known aggression traits.  While I agree that it has a lot to do with how the dog is raised, as it does in every breed, you can't ignore the "nature" aspect of nature & nurture.... not just with pitbulls, but in general.  Why is it being claimed that these dogs are not aggressive?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:32 AM
4 moms liked this

they're dog-dog aggressive, not human-dog aggressive. 

they're usually pretty passive with people since  they were bred to fight other animals.  In all honestly, they make crappy guard dogs becuase they're more likely to run up and lick an intruder than bite one. 

but it does depend on how you raise it and how you channel the tendencies of the breed, and making sure that as a human you're alpha to the dog.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:34 AM
www.digitaldog.com/stubby.html
boricua3177
by Monica on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

they're usually pretty passive with people since  they were bred to fight other animals.  In all honestly, they make crappy guard dogs becuase they're more likely to run up and lick an intruder than bite one.

but it does depend on how you raise it and how you channel the tendencies of the breed.

All of this....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Okay, this is interesting.  Not something that has been brought to my attention.  My question to that however would be how does an animal know to NOT let that aggression pass over to human interaction?  It's not like they have a thought process/ moral obligation like we do.  

Quoting Anonymous:

but it does depend on how you raise it and how you channel the tendencies of the breed.

AngeLnChainZ
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

All dogs have the capability to be bred, and trained to be a certain way ... All dogs, are just that DOGS and have the capability to be aggressive, even the smallest of breeds. I have never been around an aggressive pitbull .. I have however been around plenty of other aggressive breeds.

Fire13Life

AngeLnChainZ
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Same can be argued for ANY breed of dog, so why are you just pointing out pitbulls?

Quoting Anonymous:

Okay, this is interesting.  Not something that has been brought to my attention.  My question to that however would be how does an animal know to NOT let that aggression pass over to human interaction?  It's not like they have a thought process/ moral obligation like we do.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Fire13Life

jenmomx3
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I think their nature depends on how you raise them.  I owned pitbulls two seperate times in my l ife and they were the sweetest, most loyal dog I ever had, and I trusted them around my children, including newborn babies, and they never so much as growled at me.  So when people say how vicious they are, I never experienced anything like that.  My first one died because of a stomach issue and she was a sweetheart.  My second one I had to give away because we moved, but he was goofy and sweet and I never had an issue out of either of them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:45 AM

hmm, kind of hard to explain in short.  but it's basically like increasing the dog's prey drive.  dog sees fast moving target, dog wants to grab it.  just the way herding dogs innately move in a way to gather a flock, the same sense of prey drive is enhanced and increased by breeding together the dogs that exhibit the characteristic of wanting to munch the fast moving target.

plus add the fact in that dogs are pack animals and have hiarchy and order, usually won/learned via fighting.  As humans, we use that desire to be part of a pack to our advantage to get dogs to bond to us, but the intensity of dominating a human and fighting a human isn't as high as it is dog-dog wise since dogs speak the same language, so to speak.

there are dogs that do challenge, of course, so when you want to own certain breeds you better know what you're doing so you can remain the alpha, especially when you own multiple dogs, otherwise the dogs will fight all the time among themselves to establish order. 

I know a woman who owned five akitas, and one day she left the house, as usual leaving the dogs loose, but due to a lack of the alpha human, the dogs decided to change the pecking order.  she came home to three dead akitas and two really injured ones due to their fighting.  note to self, don't leave akitas home alone in multiples.  =/

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:46 AM

They're not necessarily aggressive, but they are unpredictable, the most unpredictable of large breeds.  They're not for everyone!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I think because of all the "pitbulls are so great" posts on here.

yes, can be said of any breed or dog, but i have yet to see "i love my golden retriever" posts.  it's all pits all the time.

Quoting AngeLnChainZ:

Same can be argued for ANY breed of dog, so why are you just pointing out pitbulls?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN