Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can someone explain dieting to me?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies
Maybe I'm dumb, but this confuses me.
My trainer out me on a 1200-1500 calorie diet.
With working out I generally have a 400-600 deficit, showing that I technically consumed about 800-1000 calories.
I knew I wasn't going to be able to workout yesterday, do I decided to literally consume only 1000 cal. (This made sense to me at the time....)
Well , this morning I woke up sick and shaky, and flipping starving! Obviously, lesson learned, but I really don't understand it??
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jillbailey26
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:17 AM
2 moms liked this

When you consume less than the recommended calories, your body goes into starvation mode.  Then it saves whatever you do consume, rather than burn it off.  

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Burning off calories is very different than not bringing calories in. You are still nurished when you work out to help use the calories. People are not made to sit behind a computer screen or on the couch, we were made to move
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:24 AM
That makes sense. I really do feel like an idiot here. I have been unhealthy, but super small my whole life. After having DS, I gained about 60 pounds, and am just learning how to really be healthy!

Quoting Anonymous:

Burning off calories is very different than not bringing calories in. You are still nurished when you work out to help use the calories. People are not made to sit behind a computer screen or on the couch, we were made to move
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Please don't feel like an idiot. I think it's more than awesome you are trying to get healthy! It's not like our society has been really good at getting accurate information out there. Welcome to the wild web of health information! At the core of anything you learn our try keep in mind, how do you feel. That will be your biggest gadge as to weather or not it'll work for you.

Quoting Anonymous:

That makes sense. I really do feel like an idiot here. I have been unhealthy, but super small my whole life. After having DS, I gained about 60 pounds, and am just learning how to really be healthy!

Quoting Anonymous:

winkyloafer
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Consume what your trainer told you to. The deficit is what you had burned from exercising.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momto2boys973
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this
When you work out constantly you burn more calories even if you miss one exercise session. Your metabolism is faster, if you build some muscle, muscle burns calories 24/7. So even with a missed workout your caloric needs aren't the same as the person who works out sporadically, has just started working out or doesn't work out.
Hope you feel better!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:57 PM
Thank you! I never realized how unhealthy I really was eating, because I was always pretty active. I need to remember that I'm not going to lose 60 pound this week, and I'm not going to have the type of energy right now as the cross county runner who I share a trainer with!

FEEL great and look great! I have so much to learn! Lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Please don't feel like an idiot. I think it's more than awesome you are trying to get healthy! It's not like our society has been really good at getting accurate information out there. Welcome to the wild web of health information! At the core of anything you learn our try keep in mind, how do you feel. That will be your biggest gadge as to weather or not it'll work for you.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)