Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I Only Buy 1 Pair Of Shoes A Year

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

That's all I can afford and that comes out of my tax refund.

Yes, I do get more than what I pay in. But everyone seems to have this illusion that people blow it on stupid stuff. Not me. It goes to bills and I buy myself a pair of shoes, along with my son's spring clothes.

I find that Avia and New Balance hold up pretty well. I work retail so I am really hard on shoes. I don't mind investing 50 dollars in a pair that will last me all year.

Things won't always be like this though. Right now due to my special needs child I don't work a lot. But in 2 years he will be going to a school that keeps him from 9 to 4. So I can go full time at my job and we won't be on PA anymore.

I can't put him in daycare atm because special needs daycares virtually do not exist, and the ones that do, DHS won't pay for and I can't afford to pay for.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Dont feel bad! My work shoes have finally worn holes in the bottom.. but I bought a cheap $15 pair from Walmart 6 months ago.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:52 AM
My dh goes through shoes so fast. Buying him an expensive pair with tax refund is a great idea, thanks (:
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I used to do that all the time. I'd buy cheap 20 or 15 dollar pairs and they wouldn't last, so throughout the year I'd struggle to come up with money for new shoes I desperately needed.

But not anymore. I go to JCPenney and spend the money every year to invest in some good shoes. So far I haven't had any issues with my New Balance or Avia shoes falling apart thank goodness.

Quoting Anonymous:

Dont feel bad! My work shoes have finally worn holes in the bottom.. but I bought a cheap $15 pair from Walmart 6 months ago.

cutebaby06
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:56 AM
I just got a $10.00 pair of tennis shoes at Walmart, I don't give a flying rip what they look like. Last time I got shoes was about 2 years ago, so they held up pretty good.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
marissa615
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:57 AM

don't feel bad, I probably buy amybe two pairs.  I just don't see the big deal with shoes. I live in florida and mostly wear flip flops, i also have a pair of sneakers and black ballet flats and that's pretty much all i wear.  I like to keep it casual and comfy.Funny thing, my flip flops are comfy Old Navy $5 a pair flip flops.  I have them in like 5 colors and have had them for about 5 years.  they have never worn down.  That is what I wear 90% of the time.

novachick
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:57 AM
I usually end up asking for a pair of new shoes for Christmas. I haven't bought myself a pair of shoes in, idk how long.I am not hard on shoes though so mine last longer than a year. I usually wear converse all stars or DC brand shoes. They are well made and last for a few years. Right now I have 3 pairs of shoes I can wear. My oldest pair is my DC's that are 4 years old, and 2 pairs of converse, one pair is 2 years old and one pair is only about 3 months old.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
numonestunar
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:58 AM
We buy my husband new sneakers every 3mths. Reeboks are crap, nikes are worse. Adidas holds up really well. He does a lot of walking and his shoes are worn out in 3 months.
I usually buy a pair of shoes if I see a pair I like that actually fit my feet!! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cmabbott
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I think that's a great investment.  I agree cheap shoes fall apart too fast and end up costing more in the long run.  I have more issues finding good shoes for DS though, we bought him a pair at the beginning of the school year and the sole started coming off, then we bought him Sketchers- figuring they're a better quality and they had a style he liked- they also are coming apart a few months later and the tred is almost gone.  Unfortunately I think I'm going to have to buy him Nike, New Balance or Adidas-- I'm hard on my shoes and I've never had an issue with them so I'm hoping their kids shoes are just as good quality wise.

rosaleeandtwo
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:59 AM

There is only 1 special needs daycare around here and its $40 a day for after-school-care only (2 hrs a day) so I know the feeling.  Hang in there!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:00 PM
It's actually saving you money in the long run. I waitresses for 12 years and could never afford expensive shoes so I wore cheap ones and now I'm paying for it big time with awful arthritis in my toes!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)