Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First time I have heard this....

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:06 PM
  • 9 Replies

I was at the store with ds. I'm only 4' 8" and ds is short for a 5 year old.  The lady in front of me asks me "How old is he?"  "He's 5."  "Oh he's short for 5; I assume he was premature, you had him early right?"   Uh no LOL.. I know my son is short for 5 and I get comments like that all the time but no one suggested that he was a premature baby before.  :-/  Then she goes, realizing her mistake, "Oh, it's fine that he's short."  

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Weird. My 1 year old looks 3 or 4 and no one has ever asked if he was a late baby lol

I did have one woman say "ouch, that had to hurt you" when he like 6 months old... people are strange
SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I get the opposite. We are all tall. Everyone thinks my DD is 15 or 16. She's 11. Same for my son he's very tall and only two. People wonder why he isn't talking in full sentences yet.

2under5.mom
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:12 PM
My DD is in her 90th percentile with height..shes 4 (or will be saturday) and shes the height of a 6yr old...and she was born a week early
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JDsmomma07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:14 PM

My son was talking before he was one so his vocabulary is pretty high for a 5 yr old so I guess when they hear him talk, they are expecting a tall 8 yr old LOL. 

aimhawk
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:14 PM

DD was born 3 weeks early and is bigger than all the other 5 and 6 year olds in her class. She's always been in the 95th percentile with people assuming she is much older. She also wears 7/8.

I wouldn't imagine asking someone based on height if their child was premature.

MomtoLou
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:14 PM

that is so funny she connected short with premature. Specially with you standing by him and being short. Some people just dont think.

My son is way tall for 6, when i would take him places before he started school everyone always asked him why he wasnt in school. He now at 6 looks about the size of a 9-10 yr old. watching himwalk down the halls with his first grade class is funny. all these heads bobbing up and down about the same size, then in the back hes head and shoulders above everyone else.

some people just dont know when to keep their mouths shut

MomtoLou
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:16 PM

that awesome vocabulary proably does throw alot of people off. I bet that is awesome to hear and talk to him though.

Quoting JDsmomma07:

My son was talking before he was one so his vocabulary is pretty high for a 5 yr old so I guess when they hear him talk, they are expecting a tall 8 yr old LOL. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:19 PM
LOL my dd was a micro Preemie. She's always been very tall for her age.
JDsmomma07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Quoting MomtoLou:

that is so funny she connected short with premature. Specially with you standing by him and being short. Some people just dont think.

My son is way tall for 6, when i would take him places before he started school everyone always asked him why he wasnt in school. He now at 6 looks about the size of a 9-10 yr old. watching himwalk down the halls with his first grade class is funny. all these heads bobbing up and down about the same size, then in the back hes head and shoulders above everyone else.

some people just dont know when to keep their mouths shut

I sensed that she realized the connection after she opened up her mouth. I assume that she has learned her lesson LOL. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)