Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Will I be wrong for this .....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 54 Replies
My dd's birthday is approaching, and I for one am broke. Being a single mother with no job and in school is very hard to try and let my princess have the birthday I always thought about when her sperm donor was in the picture. Anywho I do recieve public assistance, and I've even stopped paying for my phone bill so I can save up for her special 1st birthday. Now I'm still thinking should it even be big, I know she won't remember but I would like it to be special. Those are some of the things that run threw my mind, but its like who would I even invite, I literally have just the amount of friends I can count on with one hand. What I was planning was to get her special pretty cake and I guess a few gifts. All in all I just want it to be a good celebration for her first year take lots of pictures and say well even though it wasn't much sweetie I still tried my best :( these are the times you wish men that don't step up to the plate would actually do so and be men. I can't work because of her daycare schedule and when they wanted me to get off work I had no one to get her , like I said before few friends family members all old can't take care of dd for not even an hour and babysitters I guess are hard to trust for me. So of course I will be looking for a daycare that can keep her at least an hour extra so I can start working again, not that anything is wrong with public assistance but I don't like depending on the government when it's not needed. Sacrifices of a mother I guess all in day of parenthood :) I'm actually okay with it cause in the end it makes me stronger but I just wish I could've went all out for her 1st.

*ok ladies I understand where you guys are coming from when you say that when having a birthday party for a one year old is more for the parent. Trust me I've said that myself to the friends I had when they where planning there kids bday. I just needed a second thought on what you ladies might have thought because I was feeling bad knowing that it wasn't gonna be this all out party I really don't see the point like I said she won't remember but I felt bad because being a single mom you wanna give your child the best well that's how I feel in this situation but all in all I'm not big on parties anyhow spending it with the family and watching her eat her cake will be joy to me I just wanted to know if anyone else thought I should've done more or what I plan on doing is ok thanks for all your comments tho :)
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LoveMyKBabies
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:22 PM
I hope things looks up for you soon. You are right though, she won't remember her first. Just get her a cake she can dig into :) That's their favorite part anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shivasgirl
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:22 PM

trust me, as long as she has a cake to rip into she wont care if it's just you and her

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:22 PM

*takes seat*

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM
3 moms liked this

She's 1.The party is for you, not her, because she sure as hell won't remember it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't stop paying your bills just to buy your daughter some things she won't even remember. All you'll see in the pictures you take is that you spent irresponsibly. Why not make her cake yourself because it's cheaper and shows more effort. Get her a toy or two and call it a day? 

I'm not on PA, but we don't do big birthdays around here. It's just not necessary, so that's where I'm comin from, not bashing because you're using assistance. We do one gift and take the child out for a special meal. If they want a cake, they get one that I make and we celebrate with their grandparents and uncle. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Lol thanks :)

Quoting LoveMyKBabies:

I hope things looks up for you soon. You are right though, she won't remember her first. Just get her a cake she can dig into :) That's their favorite part anyway.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Aww I hope so thank you

Quoting shivasgirl:

trust me, as long as she has a cake to rip into she wont care if it's just you and her

xixCandyxix
by Candy on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Just get her a cake and 1 or 2 toys, then buy her like 1 toy a month. She will have a ton of toys before you know it and you won't go broke. As you said yourself, she's not going to remember the party.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Actually I'm not big on parties and that's what I kept telling people, when they had their kids bday party, I was like um don't they just fall asleep.

Quoting Anonymous:

She's 1.The party is for you, not her, because she sure as hell won't remember it. 

audreesmama
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

OP Send me a message. I would like to help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)