Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need new recipe ideas

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:25 PM
  • 11 Replies

With 7 people in the house including 4 teens we typically cook casseroles that could possibly give us leftovers.  Well we are sick to death of the same things week after week.

The 2 of us Mom's in the house, have very different tastes in food (I like my tater salad creamy, she likes her taters more solid and more mustard)  But the stuff we have been making is overall appeasing to everyone however we are just SICK OF IT!!!  need some new casserole ideas that are quick, easy and cheap. 

This is a typical menu for us 

Girl scout supper (potatoes, eggs, bacon, ham or sausage) smothered in cheese

those new philly cream cheese dinners

chili (if its cold)

spaghetti

burgers/dogs

lasagna

chicken soup/chicken n dumplins

beef stew

of course we have fruits and veggies for them to munch on during the day along with the typical teenage fair

we ended up doing wings and fries last night because we are sick of the same stuff HELP!!! 

We are on a very tight budget and try to plan the meals on a weekly basis.  But the last few days we have not made a full list for the week and just made a last minute decision to pick up what we needed. 

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iluvmypreemies
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Pinterest is amazing for recipe ideas. I have found so many great ones.
http://www.emilybites.com/2012/12/chicken-parmesan-casserole.html?m=1

That is one we are going to try might make my own croutons and sauce.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lovinmyboys...
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Taco soup
Chicken and biscuit casserole
Hamburger, rice, and veggie casserole
Goulash
Baked ziti
armywifey26
by Krissy on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a couple that are really good. I give me a chance to type them out real quick 

PIZZA CASSEROLE - CLICKY

Mac & Beef Bake

2lbs hamb
   lg onion chopped
   15 oz jar of spaghetti sauce
   1 can stewed tomatoes
   1 can of mushroom pieces
   medium box of elbow macaroni(cooked and drained)
   lg container of sour cream
   1 pkg of provolone cheese slices
   shredded mozzarella

1. Brown hamb and onion then drain and return to skillet. Add spag sauce, tomatoes, and mushrooms. Mix and simmer for about 10 mins

2. Cook macaroni and then get a rectangular casserole dish and layer as follows: macaroni, meat/sauce mix, sour cream, provolone cheese, macaroni, meat/sauce mix, sour cream, and topped with mozzarella. 

3. Bake, covered, at 350 for about 35 minutes then remove the cover and bake another 10mins 

TACO SOUP(not a casserole but yummy, cheap, and feeds a lot)

2lbs of hamb 

2 cans Rotel(diced tomatoes and green chilies. Generic brand is good too and cheaper)
   1 can of diced tomatoes
   1 can of corn
   1 can of pinto beans
   1 pkg taco seasoning
   1 pkg hidden valley ranch mix(you can find this in the condiment aisle) 
   bag of tortilla chips

1. Brown hamb then drain and put into a large pot. Add all of the rest of the ingredients without draining anything. Stir it up and simmer for about 20 mins. Then you can eat it like a soup or use the tortilla chips and eat it like a dip. We like to put sour cream in it too but that is optional 

mich.el.le
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Tacos or burritos
Chicken and rice casserole
meatloaf
asian stir fry 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Meatloaf is a good one or things with chicken like baked chicken a baked potato and some veggies steamed. Or pork chops and mashed potatoes..whats on sale at your local store?
armywifey26
by Krissy on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I have an email full of cheap meals if you wanted me to send it. It is even separated by price range. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Thai Yellow curry in the crock pot.  Google it.  It is delicious.  All you need is coconut milk, half and half, thai red or yellow curry paste(you can get this in the asian section of the grocery usually or an asian market) chicken, any kind of veggie you like.  If you have a rice cooker then make a bunch of rice.

Minestrone Soup with beef and Ceaser salad.  I love soups because they are so easy and the longer they cook the better they taste. 

Pulled pork or beef sandwhiches with coleslaw.  Put a large roast in a crock pot all day, seasoned of course with some broth or water and onions and bbq sauce.  When you get home shred it and put it on sweet rolls with cheese and serve with coleslaw. 

Swedish meatballs with mashed potatoes.   I love making meatballs because they are easy and cheap.  Season ground beef with whatever garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, thyme, red wine( just a bit), salt, pepper.  Form meatballs.  cook, remove from pan,  deglaze pan with some white wine add garlic cook, then add cream and butter, salt and pepper.  cook till sauce thickens.  serve with mashed potatoes and broccoli.  So good!!

Jebekarue
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:15 PM

We do have to be careful about trying "new" ingredients, my son has food allergies, doesn't help he is picky on top of that. 

the teen daughter of my friend cant stand manwich/sloppy joes but will eat spaghetti sandwiches, we called her out on it the other day when we made western sloppy joes and then had spaghetti the next day :) She didn't appreciate that LOL

I think if everyone didn't have their own severe pickiness it wouldn't be so hard.  But throw in food allergies to the mix it makes it more difficult.

We usually do the pulled pork twice a month (just had it this weekend)

We try to do mostly casseroles for the leftovers for our lunches while the kids are in school.

svolkov
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:19 PM
U love indian food.chicken korma and rice.
Enchiladas
Carnitas
Quesadillas
(I love mexican food lol)
Borscht
Minestrone soup, split pea soup, potato leek soup with homemade bread(easy yummy leftovers)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Shepard's Pie or tater tot casserole, baked ravioli casserole, chicken pot pie, etc. You should check out kraftfoods.com they have a ton of ideas and shopping lists.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)