Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I see a lot of posts on CM asking Christians to explain this or that or to defend their rights over and over again...Where are the posts about other religions on CM? How come no one asks pagans to explain why they mutilate cats and leave them for dead outside pretty suburban neighborhoods? Or asking the Muslims why they feel anyone who leaves thier faith deserves their version of Hell? Or asking the Hindus what is so powerful about a genetically mutated elephant? You get my point?

I'm tired of Christians being the target from other faiths, all the while whining that Christains are the favored religion in our country.

I'm a Roman Catholic Christian, volunteer for Protective Animal League & LAP, cross-stitching, Certified Dog Trainer, green living, book reading, frugal, young wife, college student and mom to Evalynn 8yr, Ashley 7yr, Trey 2yr, and Hailey 11 months, and "mom" to 2 indoor only cats & 1 toy poodle and Pekingese!

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Replies (541-550):
harehelper
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:50 PM

See, to me Catholic or Christian or Mormon IS the umbrella term.

Quoting Aislin:

That is a perfect example. I will expand on it briefly. While rain and snow have differences they are still both forms of precipitation. See what I mean about umbrella terms. The umbrella term for the denominations that follow Christ is Christian just like rain and snow fall under precipitation.

Quoting harehelper:

What I am saying is, that the denominations have significant differences, and that is why there ARE denominations. I know that there are several denominations/groups that follow Christ. But I also know how very different the groups/denominations can be. The best comparison I can think of is the differences between rain and snow. Both fall from the sky, both are forms of water, but they are still very different. Does that make sense?

Quoting Aislin:

Almost all religions have denominations. Christian, Muslim, Pagan, Buddhist, etc. are all labels for denominations that share the same core belief. For Christians the core belief is that God gave his only son, Christ to die for our sins. Anyone who believes that falls under Christian. Kind of like we are all Human Beings even though we have different names. I am Aislin but that doesn't negate me being a human.

I am curious why you think Catholics, JWs, Mormons, Baptists, Lutherans, Methodists, etc are not Christian. What leads you to believe that? This is really the first time I have ever come across that opinion.

Quoting harehelper:

Ok. *shrug* People tell me lots of things. Doesn't mean I need to agree.

Can you answer this for me? If Catholicism, JWs, Mormons etc are all the same, why do they have different names? If we are all just alike, why are there denominations at all?

Quoting sha_lyn68:

I'm not the only one who has tried telling you numerous times that Catholics, Jehovah Witnesses, Mormons etc are Christian. We've even given you links to websites from these various Christian denominations that assert the fact that they are Christian. You seem to be under the impression that you get to decide who is Christian and who is not.

You also seem to have missed the fact that just because I am not longer a Christian, I was one for 35 years,  I've been "in the house" and I've "seen al the rooms". Your denomination of Christianity (which BTW I don't believe you've ever named) is not the only one.

Quoting harehelper:

Yes, we have had this discussion before. The question had a point, you just hadn't gotten it yet. So here it is: You were arguing with me the other day that all Catholics are Christian. I disagree, of course. JWs are not Christian either, and they do go door to door. So since you are not Christian, or JW, or Catholic etc. then why do you feel that you can tell me how any of these religions work, especially my own? You couldn't look in the window of a house and know what all the rooms look like. You also can't be on the outside of a religion and understand it.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

You know fully well that I am not from previous discussions that we have had. Why are you asking an irrlevent question instead of answering mine?

You claim that you've never seen any Christians that go door to door.... Then do tell us, who have you seen go door to door other than Christians? Atheist don't go door to door trying to get you to convert to atheism. Muslims don't go door to door trying to get you to convert to Islam. Buddhists don't go door to door trying to get you to convert to Buddhism. So then do tell us, who goes door to door other than Christians?

Quoting harehelper:

Are you Christian?

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Can you name on religion other than a Christian denomination that goes door to door? Mormons, Jehovah Witnesses and Baptists all tend to go door to door to spread the word of God.

Quoting harehelper:

Christians can't damn you to hell. Only God can do that.

Really? I have never seen any Christians that go door to door, and did you miss the JWs?

Have you also missed the enormous banners that atheists have posted mocking Christianity in places like New York?

Quoting mysticalmalissa:

I think its because the xtains are the only ones that will damn you to hell in public and think they are doing a good thing.

They are the only religion I have ever found to go around knocking on peoples doors and thinking they are above the law to do so even when the property is posted.

They are the only religion I have found that wants to force their belief on everyone. They are the only religion that feels it should be EVERYWHERE.

The other religions you mention are all calm and peaceful. Maybe some of the xtains can learn from them??

Aislin
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I see where you are confused. Catholic, Mormon, etc. is the denomination. The umbrella term is Christian. Like with Paganism the denominations would be things like Wicca, Hellenistic, Rodenovery, Celtic, Germanic and so on. Denominations of Buddhism would be Theravada, Mahayana, etc. 

Quoting harehelper:

See, to me Catholic or Christian or Mormon IS the umbrella term.

Quoting Aislin:

That is a perfect example. I will expand on it briefly. While rain and snow have differences they are still both forms of precipitation. See what I mean about umbrella terms. The umbrella term for the denominations that follow Christ is Christian just like rain and snow fall under precipitation.

Quoting harehelper:

What I am saying is, that the denominations have significant differences, and that is why there ARE denominations. I know that there are several denominations/groups that follow Christ. But I also know how very different the groups/denominations can be. The best comparison I can think of is the differences between rain and snow. Both fall from the sky, both are forms of water, but they are still very different. Does that make sense?

Quoting Aislin:

Almost all religions have denominations. Christian, Muslim, Pagan, Buddhist, etc. are all labels for denominations that share the same core belief. For Christians the core belief is that God gave his only son, Christ to die for our sins. Anyone who believes that falls under Christian. Kind of like we are all Human Beings even though we have different names. I am Aislin but that doesn't negate me being a human.

I am curious why you think Catholics, JWs, Mormons, Baptists, Lutherans, Methodists, etc are not Christian. What leads you to believe that? This is really the first time I have ever come across that opinion.

Quoting harehelper:

Ok. *shrug* People tell me lots of things. Doesn't mean I need to agree.

Can you answer this for me? If Catholicism, JWs, Mormons etc are all the same, why do they have different names? If we are all just alike, why are there denominations at all?

Quoting sha_lyn68:

I'm not the only one who has tried telling you numerous times that Catholics, Jehovah Witnesses, Mormons etc are Christian. We've even given you links to websites from these various Christian denominations that assert the fact that they are Christian. You seem to be under the impression that you get to decide who is Christian and who is not.

You also seem to have missed the fact that just because I am not longer a Christian, I was one for 35 years,  I've been "in the house" and I've "seen al the rooms". Your denomination of Christianity (which BTW I don't believe you've ever named) is not the only one.

Quoting harehelper:

Yes, we have had this discussion before. The question had a point, you just hadn't gotten it yet. So here it is: You were arguing with me the other day that all Catholics are Christian. I disagree, of course. JWs are not Christian either, and they do go door to door. So since you are not Christian, or JW, or Catholic etc. then why do you feel that you can tell me how any of these religions work, especially my own? You couldn't look in the window of a house and know what all the rooms look like. You also can't be on the outside of a religion and understand it.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

You know fully well that I am not from previous discussions that we have had. Why are you asking an irrlevent question instead of answering mine?

You claim that you've never seen any Christians that go door to door.... Then do tell us, who have you seen go door to door other than Christians? Atheist don't go door to door trying to get you to convert to atheism. Muslims don't go door to door trying to get you to convert to Islam. Buddhists don't go door to door trying to get you to convert to Buddhism. So then do tell us, who goes door to door other than Christians?

Quoting harehelper:

Are you Christian?

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Can you name on religion other than a Christian denomination that goes door to door? Mormons, Jehovah Witnesses and Baptists all tend to go door to door to spread the word of God.

Quoting harehelper:

Christians can't damn you to hell. Only God can do that.

Really? I have never seen any Christians that go door to door, and did you miss the JWs?

Have you also missed the enormous banners that atheists have posted mocking Christianity in places like New York?

Quoting mysticalmalissa:

I think its because the xtains are the only ones that will damn you to hell in public and think they are doing a good thing.

They are the only religion I have ever found to go around knocking on peoples doors and thinking they are above the law to do so even when the property is posted.

They are the only religion I have found that wants to force their belief on everyone. They are the only religion that feels it should be EVERYWHERE.

The other religions you mention are all calm and peaceful. Maybe some of the xtains can learn from them??

LADYxGHOST
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:58 PM

You're a pagan? Thank you for X-mas, Easter and Halloween. 

Quoting Aamy:

Awww  poop. Oh well, Im pagan and i got married, at the time he was **gasp** a Christan to. Yes my DH married me, he was a Christian and i was not. Oh well. Poop on those that think that way heh. 

Sekirei
by LoKitty on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:08 PM

JOIN ME!

Quoting Aislin:

woooohoooooooooooooooo

Quoting Sekirei:

*runs through post naked*

FoxFire363
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Sekirei:

I'll join *strips off sexy sweats and bathrobe then steaks through post*

Aislin
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Well if you insist LOL

Quoting Sekirei:

JOIN ME!

Quoting Aislin:

woooohoooooooooooooooo

Quoting Sekirei:

*runs through post naked*

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:29 PM

capmonkey93
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:32 PM

for one how does the posts about religion turn into people stripping????................. anyway y is it that people have to use sterotypes? like are all mormons ploygamists? no..... and are all muslims terroists? no......... please do not bash i just dont understand sometimes y we all dont try to support each other even though we might not agree with what the other does?

Aislin
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Quoting capmonkey93:

for one how does the posts about religion turn into people stripping????................. anyway y is it that people have to use sterotypes? like are all mormons ploygamists? no..... and are all muslims terroists? no......... please do not bash i just dont understand sometimes y we all dont try to support each other even though we might not agree with what the other does?

Its the Pagans dancing through the forest nakes sterotype. We're just showing OP we can do more than mutilate cats. (and being silly)

I totally agree with you though

XJetX
by Resident Heathen on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:05 PM
2 moms liked this
*disrobes and dances around a fire for Loptr* I love to make my Gods happy :)

Quoting Aislin:

Quoting capmonkey93:

Its the Pagans dancing through the forest nakes sterotype. We're just showing OP we can do more than mutilate cats. (and being silly)

I totally agree with you though

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)