Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Sloppy Vs. Put-Together; An Observation

Posted by   + Show Post

I've seen multiple threads about what is and is not acceptable for ladies to wear out in public. Typically, the ladies who are more "put-together" think the "sloppy" ladies are lazy/dirty or whatever. And the pj/yoga pant wearing ladies suggest they can wear whatever they want.

Well, a few minutes ago, I noticed something and realized it wasn't the first time I'd seen it and I thought it interesting. I'm at work right now. ***Let me go ahead and preface this with the fact that I usually am dressed up with hair done, makeup done, jewelry on, heels on, etc...*** I work with the public. I was walking from my desk to our break room to get a drink and a couple of ladies were in our lobby area, about to see one of our other employees. These ladies were they type that, on CM, would be bashed for looking sloppy. It really was pretty bad. They were both very heavy, yet wearing some sort of lounging attire that wasn't big enough for them. One of them had greasy hair up in a messy ponytail. They both wear wearing flip flops (its pouring down rain and cold outside). And I could see the butt crack of one of them. Now, although that's not how I would leave the house, I really don't care what they look like. Working with the public, there's not much I don't see and it takes a lot to phase me. But here's what got me....Both of them, and one in particular didn't even try to hide it, looked at ME with disdain. They looked me up and down and gave me "that look" that women give other women when they've sized them up and decided they hate them whether they know them or not. I wouldn't have even noticed them at all had I not felt myself being looked at. Then, one of my very pretty and put together co-workers walked by and she gave her a similar look. I realized this wasn't the first time I'd seen ladies from the "sloppy" side of the world look at the "put-together" ladies like this.

So here's my question. In what ways could they be judging to make them look at us with such disdain? What's the thought process? "How dare she look professional?" "OMG I hate women who wear nice clothes and makeup!"

So ladies, what's the deal?

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Replies (31-33):
keriley1
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I had a lady from the public yell at me cuz I got up and did my hair and makeup and not everyone can just get up like that and be on time.....(she was too late and we wouldn't let her do what she wanted)

SusieQue717
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Iono... LOL

I might not always look like a million bucks, but I always look good :) hehehehe. I don't usually give other women that "sizing up" look. So I really wouldn't know how to answer.
mcclainprincess
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:15 PM
I do look at what other women are wearing. I don't give them a bad look when they're dressed up, but i still give them a look. Lol. Only because i can't dress up where i work and I'm normally filthy and sweaty and not at all attractive when i get off work..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)