Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do some parents not care? *Edited* *Edit 2*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

One of the kids in the school I work at was sent to school with a temp of 102 today.  She was immediately sent to the nurse and the parents were called to pick her up.  The father was actually angry he had to pick up his sick child from school.  He shouldn't have sent the child to school to begin with, but he was mad because they wouldn't let her stay at school.  It's sad enough that this poor child's parents don't pay enough attention to realize their 15 year old child only showers twice a week, wears the same clothes to school almost every day of the week, don't buy her pads or tampons for that time of the month nor does she understand what a period is or why she gets it, doesn't know her shoe size so keep buying her shoes 2 sizes too big, doesn't shave or know about shaving her legs, and the list goes on.  This was just the straw that broke the camel's back for me.  I am so pissed.  I do my best not to judge other people's parenting abilities, but this poor girl deserves some attention and regard from her parents.  It's just so freaking sad and makes me so mad!

If there are grammar, punctions, or spelling errors, get over it because I really do not care right now.

*Edited*

This is easier than answering over and over again.

As far as CPS goes, they have been called, but because she has clothes, a roof over her head, food, and electric/heat they will do nothing.  In my state a child has to be almost dead before they will do anything.  They just talk to the parents and move on.  None of this is removal worthy in their eyes.

No it is NOT the school's responsibility to teach the children about their period and all of that.  Yes there are classes that teach that, but the parents must sign a permission slip for the child to be present during that lesson, until senior year of high school.  If the parents said no or did not sign the permission slip the child is removed from the classroom during the lessons.  This girl's parents pretty much ignore every thing sent home with this girl, unless they receive requests by note, email, AND phone call.  It would not surprise me if they never signed the permission slips for the lesson on reproduction.  The poor girl is the only one in her gym class no shaving her legs and she has 2 inch length black hair on her legs.  It has been pointed out to her by several students, as well as myself and another adult.  We have, repeatedly, to talk to her about personal hygene, but honestly it doesn't change anything.  Her clothes have stains, and stuff stuck to them.  How does any parent not catch that as their child is walking out the door and say "please change", as well as at least get her wash her own clothes.

As far as the pads and period, her mother never talked to her about any of it.  When the nurse talked to her about it she was confused and a bit surprised to hear that it was normal, as well as what she needed each month.  It is not the school nurse's job to make sure this girl knows this stuff, nor provide what she needs, but the parents expect it.

To the women who made comments about 102 not being bad for a 15 year old or that she should know to stay home.  No 102 may not be bad for a 15 year old, but anything above 99.9 is required that a student stay home to keep from getting other students sick.  She did what her parents told her and came to school.  The father expected the school to keep her with a fever which is against school health policy.

*Edit 2*

As far as her being special ed or "mentally retarded" as one lady stated, she has no official diagnosis.  All we know is that she is overly emotional and socially ackward.  There is nothing about a diagnosis of any kind.  From what we have seen and experienced her parents are very uninvolved in the life of their child.  There are very few responses from them concerning anything about her.  It's very sad honestly.  The anger of the father expecting the school to keep a sick child did not help his case of being an involved, caring father.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:14 PM
Replies (31-40):
keriley1
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:23 PM

We went over why periods happen in like, 5th or 6th grade, so I think its weird that she wouldn't know that?? Not that its the schools responsiblity to teach her that, but still. I was shaving WAY before 15, and she should be showering AT LEAST every other day. Poor kid. She shouldn't have gone to school if she was sick. Thats how the sickness gets spread, people don't STAY HOME.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

I would be contacting CPS because in a way they are neglecting her.

For the ones saying the school should have taught her about her period, not all schools have that program.

not neglect at all. Yes she would have learned about her period.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:23 PM

this just seems kind of odd for a child of 15 to not know/understand all that unless there is some sort of ID. My parents never showed me how to use tampons or pads but I knew what was going on and that they were needed.

Lizardannie1966
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:23 PM

How long has the school known about all of this and why hasn't anything been done so far?

That she's a teen may have something to do with some of this and since a teenager will tell their parent one thing ("Sure, I showered") and actually do something else, just out of defiance.

However, some of this sounds like possibly depression. What is being done about it?

Quoting Anonymous:

One of the kids in the school I work at was sent to school with a temp of 102 today.  She was immediately sent to the nurse and the parents were called to pick her up.  The father was actually angry he had to pick up his sick child from school.  He shouldn't have sent the child to school to begin with, but he was mad because they wouldn't let her stay at school.  It's sad enough that this poor child's parents don't pay enough attention to realize their 15 year old child only showers twice a week, wears the same clothes to school almost every day of the week, don't buy her pads or tampons for that time of the month nor does she understand what a period is or why she gets it, doesn't know her shoe size so keep buying her shoes 2 sizes too big, doesn't shave or know about shaving her legs, and the list goes on.  This was just the straw that broke the camel's back for me.  I am so pissed.  I do my best not to judge other people's parenting abilities, but this poor girl deserves some attention and regard from her parents.  It's just so freaking sad and makes me so mad!

If there are grammar, punctions, or spelling errors, get over it because I really do not care right now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:24 PM

They have been, but sadly, in my state, CPS typically only takes a child when they're almost dead from abuse and/or neglect.

In my district the parents can opt their child out of the program until senior year of high school.

Quoting Anonymous:

For the ones saying the school should have taught her about her period, not all schools have that program.

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:24 PM

im assuming this girl has special needs? people make me sick. we saw that a lot with our kids too in the self contained rooms. i hated it. we used to wash their hair and have them wash their faces etc as part of "self help" time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting keriley1:

We went over why periods happen in like, 5th or 6th grade, so I think its weird that she wouldn't know that?? Not that its the schools responsiblity to teach her that, but still. I was shaving WAY before 15, and she should be showering AT LEAST every other day. Poor kid. She shouldn't have gone to school if she was sick. Thats how the sickness gets spread, people don't STAY HOME.

she is a big girl and can shower herself.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:24 PM
It is BS but I have seen. Not only that but a lot of schools have permission slips that have to be signed by the parent before thr student can take the class or program.

And not all schools require the programs you listed because my school didn't.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

I think that's BS. We learned about it in 5th. And I think 7th (life science - required), and definitely 9th (biology - required) and 12th (ap biology - not required, but a 15 year old probably wouldn't have taken that already anyway.)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:24 PM

It can't be as bad as you're making it out to be. How do you know this girl so well?

At 15, she's fully capable of showering daily - on her own. Same with her clothes. She can wash the ones she has and wear them. If the mom lives at home, does she not have pads/tampons for herself? I doubt she hoards them away from this girl. You learn sex ed in school and learn all about periods, so she should at least know that much. About shaving her legs, meh, I wouldn't be too concerned. A lot of those things seem like they may have been exaggerated. If not, why have you done nothing about it yet?

mary841108
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:24 PM

are you the same anon that doesnt think shaving legs at 15 is a need?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting spunky946:

Omg that's terrible.

I don't see a big issue with most of it personally and yes I have teens.

Cleaning tips, baking recipes, dinner recipes, kids crafts, crafts for the bored mama and more at:

http://theimperfectstepfordwife.wordpress.com/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)