Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

K12 vs Connections Academy

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 75 Replies

Poll

Question: K12 or Connections

Options:

K12

Connections

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 30

View Results

If you don't know what I'm talking about then you don't need to worry about giving advice. lol. 

Which do you prefer? We need to make a choice, and I cant decide which is better. So some personal experiences would be great. pros, cons, etc. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:05 PM
2 moms liked this

No clue. I personally wouldn't go with an online school, especially through PS, to homeschool.

A_McCool
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:08 PM

I have no experience with connections academy, but my kindergartener is enrolled in a school that uses K12. We absolutely love it. I like that she can progress at her own pace.  She started first grade math back in November, and she will start first grade language arts at the end of this month.  Her teacher is great.  She has 30 minute classes on Tues, Wed, and Thurs where she gets to interact with the teacher and other students in a virtual classroom.  We have online conferences with her teacher once a month.  We are loving the program so far.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Thank you :) 

southernwldchld
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this

The only issue I had with K12 is through my state they didn't have access to their online classes during the summer so starting later in the year wasn't as feasible. Never used connections though so I don't know.

We use a hybrid program through our resident district. We build our own curriculum and they have onsite classes that we can do if we want. Things like drama, STEM, karate, etc.

mom2theA-team
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:12 PM

We gave our number to K-12 once and they still call us at least twice a month and we've asked them to remove our number from their system. Beware! 

ColieO
by Emerald Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:15 PM
My brother is in Connections. Connections is good if you're new to homeschooling and want a little extra guidance. It's got some structure, where K12 is more do it yourself. Connections is more of an online school with teachers, daily lessons with the teachers and an outline of what the day will consist of. There's still a lot you can add to it, but you have help. K12 gives you a very basic outline and you implement it and add to it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StrawberryCool
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:17 PM
I hated k12
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ColieO
by Emerald Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Ugh right?! They're obnoxious.

Quoting mom2theA-team:

We gave our number to K-12 once and they still call us at least twice a month and we've asked them to remove our number from their system. Beware! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:18 PM

i used K12, and trying to work full time at the same time, it wa sa nightmare.  a TON of busy work for k and 1st grade.

it was really frustrating, but maybe someone with more free time it would be great, since they do give you everything you need.

i also didn't like the way some of the stuff progressed, the order of things seemed to skip around too much, and i thought some concepts introduced were not timed well.

LIke, for K, my DD was doing basic adding, which she knew already, but after the adding section, they went  into estimation and i think it wa sa little soon to do that.

she's trying to add, says there's 15 of something, but that's not the right answer for the quiz, they want an estimation =/ 

so yeah, just some small issues like that. 

mom2theA-team
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Quite! 

Quoting ColieO:

Ugh right?! They're obnoxious.

Quoting mom2theA-team:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)