Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need advice tax related wwyd ???

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
OK so I am going to get bashed to hell in back I am sure but here it goes. 6 years ago I signed up for online school. I had just graduated high school expecting to go to college and everything fell apart at last minute. I called the school after finding a number online and within an hour they had me signed up ready to start classes. I sent them my fasfa and they said they would be paid with my pale grant. I was married and pregnant and just trying to get things started right. I even got a $900 check that I thought was left over money. What they didn't tell me was they signed me up for student loans. I never signed anything agreeing to student loans never even talked to them. But now I owe Sallie Mae 10k. I only went to school 3 months before realizing it wouldn't work for me and stopped going to classes. I never heard anything else from them. Now bam they are taking my taxes. Well our taxes my husbands more then mine. I haven't worked in 5 years ever. I don't have any income to take so now my husband will lose every bit of his taxes?? I don't understand and feel so dumb. I don't get how he can file injured spouse stuff will he get most of the money anyways since I have nothing to take ? I have never even thought about this had no clue I owed this much money to anyone. I called today and I can make payments and work towards getting this current but no matter what they will not be able to stop the tax garnishment.

Sorry for spelling and grammar issues on mobile and can't see post to correct it.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
got2monsters
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:53 PM
call a tax attorney or cpa, they can give you some kind of an idea over the phone usually. just a heads up in the right direction.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Bump
littlesippycup
by Baby T-rex Arms on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Don't know. Bump.

ilovemykids323
by Emerald Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:40 PM

no idea.... so here's a bump... i agree with talking to a tax attorney or cpa

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Ugh. That's what sucks SO bad about those schools. They did the exact same thing to my friend and she is in the hole THIRTY grand!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Im in the same position.. They havent started taking my taxes though.

I feel as if these online schools purposely do this to naive and undirected young adults. It's horrible.

azpreemiemom
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I heard you can fill out an injured spouse form, but you should still contact a professional.

Cheribomb
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:44 PM

he will only get a percentage back (about 1/3), the rest will go to your debt.  

Photobucket

hplesha
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Yes they can take all of what they need out of your taxes. I had a $500 loan that turned into a little over $700 in 6 years. They took all of it out of my taxes. Sucks, but at least it's technically paid off
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blessedmommy85
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:46 PM
I have a friend who owed $ so she makes payment arrangements b4 tax time maybe makes one payment and she gets her return. She forgot one year and they took her whole return so maybe work something out with them?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)