Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

when talking to someone with a lazy eye (lazy eyed people's opinion wanted)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

Do I look at the eye that is focused on me?  Switch back and forth? Look at their forehead/nose?  I dont want to see rude, but it is confusing.

I some times have a hard time hearing so when I listen to someone in an area that isnt quiet, I often focus on the mouth.... but I wouldnt want them to think I was avoiding thier eyes.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pumpkin50
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:11 PM
I try to focus on the eye that is staring at me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I have a co-worker who has a lazy eye. It's quite awkward talking to her... I just switch back from one eye to the other...

JadsW
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:52 PM
2 moms liked this
Mr. Jads gave me the BEST advice on this!! :D Look at the bridge of their nose! They can't tell. Try it on someone who doesn't have a lazy eye. Looks like you're making eye contact. It's like magic. :)

ETA: He's a sales manager & this was a technique he learned since eye contact is important in sales.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AngelRT
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:53 PM

I would think you could just look at their nose and it would seem like you are looking them in the eyes.....errrr eye! hahahahahaha 

I'm sorry but this is some funny shit! 

lovinglife0682
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:54 PM
My dad is blind in one eye. He severed his optic nerve so his eye wonders. He would rather you look at the eye focused on you.
Supervane
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:56 PM
My friends husband has a terrible lazy eye it goes all over the place even when he's focused... I look at his forehead when speaking to him
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:56 PM

I was told to look right between their eyes. The top of their nose. I have a few friends that have this and they think I'm looking in their eyes. I feel good doing it bc it gives me confidence in speaking to them whereas others will look down and such.

A_McCool
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:56 PM

I've never thought about it.  That is probably because I rarely, if ever, make eye contact with anyone.  I tend to look at people's mouths when carrying on a conversation if I look at them at all.  I've been known to carry on an entire conversation and never look at the other person.  Eye contact is so awkward and unnatural to me.  I cannot look someone in the eye and still be able to comprehend what they are saying.

mrsbrand
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I was going to suggest this.

Quoting JadsW:

Mr. Jads gave me the BEST advice on this!! :D Look at the bridge of their nose! They can't tell. Try it on someone who doesn't have a lazy eye. Looks like you're making eye contact. It's like magic. :)

ETA: He's a sales manager & this was a technique he learned since eye contact is important in sales.

Jebekarue
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:57 PM

My daughter has lazy eye, has had 2 surgeries to correct. It wanders when she is tired.  We try to focus on the one eye that is looking at us or her nose. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)