Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you pay someone to watch your kids and they aren't licensed

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies
Can you claim the child care deduction on your taxes? If do how do I do this? My mom is going to watch my son while I'm in school. I'm going to pay my mom 20$ a day.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
illinoismommy83
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Have your mom write up receipts so if the IRS calls you out on it then you will have documentation ready.

tiffs2009
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Their tax number is their social security number. And yes you can!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LiesLiesLies
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:22 PM
She will have to claim it as income. She will have to give you her ss# when you file taxes...so keep that in mind.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:23 PM
You can do it, but let her know because she will have to claim it as income. If she doesn't you could get her into serious trouble with the irs for tax evasion.
LiesLiesLies
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:24 PM
That and the OPs return will be seriously delayed...like months.

Quoting Anonymous:

You can do it, but let her know because she will have to claim it as income. If she doesn't you could get her into serious trouble with the irs for tax evasion.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:27 PM
I was thinking about a receipt book and have my mom sign it before I pay her. Could I fax my receipts over just incase when I file my taxes?

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

Quoting Anonymous:

KGreen75
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:27 PM
Yes BUT your mother will have to claim the $20 a day as income in her taxes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:29 PM
If she doesn't ill be prepared. I told her if I pay I'm going to claim it on my taxes. She didn't seem bothered by it.

Quoting KGreen75:

Yes BUT your mother will have to claim the $20 a day as income in her taxes.

LiesLiesLies
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:29 PM
No.

You have to have her social or a tax ID number. It won't even let you process your return without it.

If you don't then you have to go through the process of proving it. Her getting in trouble. Etc. she won't be happy because she will have to pay more taxes.

If you think this will be a problem don't do it...or just plan on not claiming it.

Quoting Anonymous:

I was thinking about a receipt book and have my mom sign it before I pay her. Could I fax my receipts over just incase when I file my taxes?

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

Quoting Anonymous:

La_Vie_en_R0se
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:30 PM
This. If she doesn't claim it and you do, then she could get into trouble. You both need to be on the same page here.

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

She will have to claim it as income. She will have to give you her ss# when you file taxes...so keep that in mind.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)