Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Food stamp stores... Hmmm *ETA*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 110 Replies
1 mom liked this
Edit- I didn't make this post to be mean it was just an idea I threw out to maybe be helpful for economy. I realize it's a flawed idea thats why I wanted input :) I also didn't mean for it to be demeaning in anyway or to have outdated food. I was thinking maybe some sort of transportation service for people in need and it would be a great place for people to work off misdemeanor community service. I too have been on FS we neede it and luckily it was there.

Ok this is just a thought I'm throwing out there wondering if it could be a good idea..... What if the government started opening abandoned buildings as foodstamp only stores? Then stocke these stores with foods for real meals in other words people couldn't use foodstamps to buy junk food and soda. I also think this could reduce the amount of FS a person would need because they wouldn't be wasting money on junk. Idk it was just an idea feel free to add to it or bash lol
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
autiemama516
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:31 PM
3 moms liked this

Good idea. In reality though the major groceries would lose a ton of money without fs and WIC.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:32 PM
6 moms liked this
You mean like back during the great depression when millions of Americans stood in line waiting for their rations of government cheese and their 1 loaf of bread?

Sounds stellar :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:34 PM
6 moms liked this
Bad idea. Being poor shouldn't deny you the right to choose what food you can and can't buy.
renijazzysmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:35 PM
How do you plan to get people to these stores? Not every one has a car and buses don't run everywhere. Sounds like a great idea ;)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:35 PM
2 moms liked this
And who exactly would "approve" the foods they sold?
moneysaver6
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:36 PM
7 moms liked this
I personally think that food stamps should be run very similar to WIC.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I don't like that idea. In Mississippi WIC has special stores like that. You can't get wic items from a grocery store. I'm also not like some people when it comes to dictating what someone can/can't buy. 

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this

And who gets to pick which farms receive the major kickbacks? Or would they go the route of the pharmaceutical industry and just engineer more frankenfood? Who cares, they're just poor people, right? (sarcasm, by the way)...

Oh, and good luck keeping local economies afloat...haha...

MrsRi
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this

In theory - Good idea

In practice - Not going to happen

I believe that FS should be regulated like WIC, you get to buy certain things with WIC, why can't the same concept be applied to FS?  FS are there to supplement your income in most cases, or to provide you with staples to create meals.  

I'm not on any type of assistance now, but I use to be and I wouldn't have minded then either.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:37 PM
4 moms liked this

This is one of those posts where the most intelligent thing I could say would involve beating my head furiously on the keyboard. I'll pass.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)