Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

People that stare openly at people that have a disability...

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:59 PM
  • 0 Replies

I was 6 when I had the stroke that changed my life, and left me paralyzed on the left side of my body. Because of where one of the blood clots decided to get stuck (the artery in the juncture of my right leg) I had to have 4 incisions running down my right leg, and left open for 14 days. I was told that I'd be in a wheel chair for at least 3 years. I was up and walking within 3 weeks. Tell me I can't do something and watch me do it... hehehe! I had my stroke in June, and was back in school that same August. Sure, I got looked at, and I had to explain what had happened, but I was up and playing around just like everyone else. After years of therapy, it's only my left arm that seems to be out of control. I sometimes walk a little funny, but it's not THAT noticeable.  

I finished high school, fought my way through countless situations, dealt with being called a freak, a cripple, less of a woman, and many other things. One incident that stays with me was when I was 17. My boyfriend of almost a year, introduced me to his father. His father told him to have all the fun he wanted with me but to not take a cripple seriously, that I could never raise his kids, or give him the life he deserved. I got up and walked out the door, caught a bus and went home. (he said it in the next room, but I could hear him) "I might not be perfect, but I'm better than that" was the thought I stuck to that day.

You don't know what I've been through or over come in my life, so don't pretend to know and look down on me, or say "poor kids". I'm not going to insult you, I don't think that'll do any good. And I don't see the point of bringing myself down to your level just because you want to make snarky comments. But just know that you're making yourself seem like a complete asshole, and it's not going unnoticed. I'm actually tempted to thank you for giving my kids an example of a complete waste of space on this earth, and what they should never ever do in their lives. 

I have a wonderful husband that has never looked at my arm as a disability. And two beautiful children that I've bathed, changed, and nursed. I don't need anyones pity, but I do ask that you stop staring at me like I come from outer space, and that you teach your children that it's not polite to point or stare. If you are curious, come up and ask, I'm not going to get mad, but I will get mad if you're gawking, and it will make my family uncomfortable. If they end up telling you something, leave it at that because I don't want to be fighting in a supermarket, or a mall. But I will if you get snarky with my kids. 

I have learned to never judge a book by it's cover, to enjoy every moment that we have in this world, to learn as much as we can, to never blame anyone and to just make the most out of every situation. I hope that you guys can all do the same. 
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)