Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I can't believe they're going to eat that slop - edit, they're eating it!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies

dh sent me a recipe and asked me if I thought the girls would eat it.  it's for sweet n sour chicken.  they're pretty adventuresome so it's now "what's for dinner" tonight.

of course, I am not putting a bit of it in my mouth, and I bet he knew that when he sent it to me.  green peppers and celery are loathesome and I haven't consumed either of them since I moved out of my mother's house.  lol, guess I'll grill a piece of chicken for myself.

ETA:  well, apparently it's divine food of the gods.  they're all happily munching away while I escape for a minute of peace and quiet.  I did taste the sauce, it wasn't bad though it was sweeter than my mouth prefers.  I just hope I made enough rice for breakfast too, they're devouring it like a pack of rabid wolves (but more mannerly)..

oh, and for the anon poster with the "dig" about my kids' tastebuds being more mature than mine?  no big deal, I recognize my flaws and try not to pass them on.  :)

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JadsW
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Sweet 'n sour chicken ... mmmmmm. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
eesmommy
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:13 PM
2 moms liked this
My kiddos would claw the door down for that. Course my kids love veggies... I do to but what kid actually loves veggies, lol strange kids I am raising.
Wifeyy2Lette
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Lol ds loves fruits and vegis, probably because he has never had sweets...
My mom never had a problem getting us to eat good food, either. :)

Quoting eesmommy:

My kiddos would claw the door down for that. Course my kids love veggies... I do to but what kid actually loves veggies, lol strange kids I am raising.
ms_davis
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:15 PM

sounds good. share the recipe?

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:16 PM

You can always leave out the green peppers and celery, lol

Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe

INGREDIENTS

• 1 pound of boneless and skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into 1" chunks
  • 1 egg white
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (1/4 teaspoon table salt)
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch
  • 1 10-ounce can pineapple chunks (reserve juice)
  • 1/4 cup juice from the canned pineapple
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (1/4 teaspoon table salt)
  • 2-3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cooking oil
  • 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch chunks
  • 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1 inch chunks
  • 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger

METHOD

1 In a bowl, combine the chicken with the egg white, salt and cornstarch. Stir to coat the chicken evenly. Let sit for 15 minutes at room temperature or up to overnight in the refrigerator.

2 In the meantime, whisk together the pineapple juice, vinegar, ketchup, salt, and brown sugar.

3 Heat a large frying pan or wok over high heat until a bead of water instantly sizzles and evaporates. Pour in the 1 tablespoon of cooking oil and swirl to coat. It's important that the pan is very hot. Add the chicken and spread the chicken out in one layer. Let the chicken fry, untouched for 1 minute, until the bottoms are browned. Flip and fry the other side the same for 1 minute. The chicken should still be pinkish in the middle. Dish out the chicken onto a clean plate, leaving as much oil in the pan as possible.

4 Turn the heat to medium and add the remaining 1 teaspoon of cooking oil. Let the oil heat up and then add the bell pepper chunks and ginger. Fry for 1 minute. Add the pineapple chunks and the sweet and sour sauce. Turn the heat to high and when the sauce is simmering, add the chicken pieces back in. Let simmer for 1-2 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Timing depends on how thick you've cut your chicken. The best way to tell if the chicken is done is to take a piece out and cut into it. If it's pink, add another minute to the cooking.

Taste the sauce and add more brown sugar if you’d like.

Yield: Serves 4.

Melbornj
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Sounds yummy.

GhettoKoolAide
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I love your face.

Quoting JadsW:

Sweet 'n sour chicken ... mmmmmm. :)

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:17 PM
2 moms liked this

Sweet and Sour Chicken

*Note: if you like extra sauce, double the sauce ingredients – pour half over the chicken and follow the recipe instructions; pour the other half in a small saucepan and cook the sauce on the stovetop at a simmer for 8-10 minutes until it reduces and thickens. Serve it on the side of the chicken.

*Serves 4-6

INGREDIENTS:
Chicken:
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper
1 cup cornstarch
2 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup canola oil

Sauce:
3/4 cup granulated sugar
4 tablespoons ketchup
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic salt

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. While the oil is heating, cut the chicken breasts into 1-inch pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Place the cornstarch in a gallon-sized ziploc bag. Put the chicken into the bag with the cornstarch and seal, tossing to coat the chicken. Whisk the eggs together in a shallow pie plate. Dip the cornstarch-coated chicken pieces in the egg and place them carefully in a single layer in the hot skillet. Cook for 1-2 minutes and then flip each piece over to cook on the other side until nicely golden but not all the way cooked through. Place in a single layer in a baking dish and repeat with the remaining chicken pieces.

Mix the sauce ingredients together in a medium bowl and pour over the chicken in the baking dish. Bake for one hour, turning the chicken once or twice while cooking to coat evenly with sauce. Serve over hot, steamed rice.

Recipe Source: Mel’s Kitchen Cafe original recipe

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this

please just pick them out that is what we do

chalisa0
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Why can't you eat it and pick out the peppers and celery?  That's what my dd does-and has since she was a small child.  Just pick them out-it's not hard.  Or leave it out altogether.  I am seriously missing the problem.  (And sweet and sour chicken is adventuresome?  I must have a strange family then, because that is completely normal food that I have never seen a child pass up.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)