Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dh and I are in a fight over guns.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies

We were talking about Sandy Hook over dinner and what needs to happen for change. I told him that it's hard to pinpoint what we can prevent when we just don't know enough about the shooters motive and what his life was like. But one thing is for sure... That all mass murders are committed by an assault weapon... Dh agreed. Anyway, so dh is completely anti-gun. And I am not. I'm for stricter regulations, but feel that everyone should be able to protect their family. He always uses the argument that it's sad that we live in a country that we feel the need to protect ourselves from who... Other Americans. So I asked him, well what do you plan to do if someone breaks into our house one night? Wrestle them to the ground? And then I said something like "yeah right" (my husband is the most unprotective man on the planet, he is more likely to hide behind me than do anything) and he got really mad at me and started telling me to stop it. Apparently I hurt his feelings by stating the truth. I tried to tell him that if it hurts his feelings so bad then he should defend himself, but all he keeps saying is that I had no right to say that about him.... And now he is avoiding me on the other room. Whatever. I'm not sure if my husband is just a big baby, or I am a bitch, or a combination of both.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:28 PM

If the goverment is overtaken by dictators from another place how will we defend ourselves if no one but the government is allowed to own guns?  When the government becomes a dictatorship people need to be able to fight for the way our lives were and the way they should always be.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:30 PM
He doesn't get it.

Quoting Anonymous:

If the goverment is overtaken by dictators from another place how will we defend ourselves if no one but the government is allowed to own guns?  When the government becomes a dictatorship people need to be able to fight for the way our lives were and the way they should always be.

428pm
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:32 PM
2 moms liked this

this is the most paranoid thing Ive read today.

Quoting Anonymous:

AngelRT
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I have been anti-gun my whole life. Honestly, if anything, the recent shootings woke me up! We just purchased a shot gun AND a pistol this week! I have not touched either one and I am scared to death that we own them BUT I feel that we should! As you stated, we NEED to be able to protect ourselves in certain situations. I plan to take gun safety courses, go to the shooting range and maybe even get my carry permit. I realize now that being able to forcefully DEFEND myself is a right and I refuse to stand back and let that right be taken away from me! 

BTW - we purchased a safe for both guns. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I don't think its paranoid.  Look at how awful some countries governments are.  I personally don't have any guns (DH has a few hunting rifles) but can understand the need to protect myself and family.  If for some reason who ever is president at the time decides he wants absolute rule and convinces enough people to fight with him and rule by force what can we the public do if we have submitted all our weapons?

Quoting 428pm:

Quoting Anonymous:

428pm
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:36 PM

paranoid people never think they're paranoid.  Just sayin'

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think its paranoid.  Look at how awful some countries governments are.  I personally don't have any guns (DH has a few hunting rifles) but can understand the need to protect myself and family.  If for some reason who ever is president at the time decides he wants absolute rule and convinces enough people to fight with him and rule by force what can we the public do if we have submitted all our weapons?

Quoting 428pm:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I think your husband sounds like a pathetic wuss and for your family's sake, you need a gun to protect yourself. Lord knows your husband isn't going to do it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Lol no they don't. I personally am more afraid of some drug addict or sex offender wanting to take advantage of the goodies in my home : /

Quoting 428pm:

paranoid people never think they're paranoid.  Just sayin'

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting 428pm:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:41 PM
You know what I used to b on your dh's side and my dh on your side but I've been seeing some things about recent shootings that have made me change my mind and I agree with you. There has to be a way to have stricter reg.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:41 PM
I'm Canadian.... I don't own a gun nor do I know anyone who owns a gun. I never heard of guns being so common in the household until I came here...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)