Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you go back to college full time as a single mother?!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 35 Replies

Long story short, I'm recently divorced.  I have 2 kids that are in school and as so many other SAHM's, I now have no degree and basically no outside work experience.  I think my best option is to go back to college, but I want to go to nursing school.  It's pretty much full time during the day.  Is it even possible? I have full custody of my kids so working at night wouldn't really be an option.  Ugh, it sucks, I feel like there's no way I could do it.  I think I'd qualify for grants but that doesn't help with living expenses...  Any of you go through this or have any advice?  Please!!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:39 PM

My best friend is qutting work and going back to school full time. She's a single mom of 2. She doesn't qualify for PA of any kind, works 12+ hours a day, 5 days a week, never sees her kids, etc. The job she has is not good for her, and she's tired of it. She wants a better life for her and her kids. She's going to get on PA, get whatever grants she needs, and live off that and help from her grandparents, who are supporting her decision.  

It's possible, just difficult.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:43 PM

That's what I worry about.  My kids would be devestated if I was never around.  I do get child support and alimoney but not enough to live off of.  Do grants or student loans help with living expenses??

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:45 PM

The only single mother I know has three kids with 2 different bio dads. She gets a lot of CS one bio dad makes a lot of money in the military.  And she gets FS, public housing, schooling assistance, her exdh has to pay for full daycare and she doesn't work.  Just goes to school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Get a student loan and you won't have to worry about day to day expenses.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Try to do as much as possible online if you can. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I went to school with a girl who had her first child in high school, another a few years later. She has a bachelors and masters in nursing, working 3 jobs, just bought a house, and she does it all on her own! Where there's a will, there's a way! Good luck mama!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

That's what I worry about.  My kids would be devestated if I was never around.  I do get child support and alimoney but not enough to live off of.  Do grants or student loans help with living expenses??

Yes, they can. Try to do as much schooling as you can through a community college. You'll get financial aid, which will cover tuition and supplies, leaving you with about $1000 extra per semester, and then you can take out loans. I took out $2000 each semester and my payments are only $50/ month. That's key though- make sure you will be able to afford the loans once you have to repay them!

Mrs.DebB
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:53 PM
Student loans could definitely be used towards living expenses. Just make sure you finish school if you start, otherwise you can really mess yourself up.
Good luck, though! I think going back to school would be an excellent idea. And there is always FS or whatever to help you, if you need it. That's what it's there for, after all. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
servingsarcasm
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I'm in school right now. I have 3 kids. 2 in school one is only 2. I do some online classes but because of my degree i have to take campus classes. 

As far as money I am doing max for FA. I get loans and grants. I budget every penny. I rely on my mom for watching LO. I'm actually really lucky this term my class schedule is all campus but the classes are tue,wen,thur 9-1 fri 11-3 sat 9-1

Summer I will either take online classes or get a job. I also usually get a seasonal job during christmas so I can file taxes and that helps during the year with money. 

workingmama86
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Well it's not easy... But I'm somehow managing.. I also work full time
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)