Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

One of those Medicaid people......UPDATE

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:54 PM
  • 154 Replies

What's your opinion on this ladies? My sister who was 2 1/2 months pregnant started having flu-like symptoms a couple weeks ago. She didn't feel alarmed by it until day 3 when she woke up in the middle of the night of a fever of 104. My mom took her to the er immediately. They knew she was pregnant, they also knew she has ulcerative colitis (ulcers in her colon). This can be very serious while pregnant because a flare up causes internal bleeding. They sent her home, told her to take some Tylenol. She still had a fever of 103.8 when they sent her home. She continued to have the flu symptoms and today she miscarried. Shouldn't they have kept her at least overnight to monitor her temp, especially since she's pregnant? (was).  Or is this a case of them not giving her proper treatment because she's "one of those Medicaid people?". This pisses me off. And please, before anyone says "why is she having a baby if she's on Medicaid, just save your time. That's not the issue. Just wondering what your opinions are about her being sent home, pregnant, feeling extremely sick and very high fever.

Hey ladies. So my post recieved quite a few replies. Many of them saying that my sister shouldn't have gone to the hospital with "just a fever". (even tho fever was 104, she was pregnant and has ulcerative colitis). Well, here we are. She's been in the hospital (a different hospital) for 3 days. And she will be there for at least a week longer. She was in the middle of a severe colitis flare up. Well she had some ulcers that ruptured, filling her abdominal cavity, colon, intestines with a severe infection. Had they done a ct scan the 1st time a couple weeks ago at the 1st hospital, it would've been found. She was bleeding internally so bad that she has had 3 pints of blood transfused into her since Thursday. So I suppose I can't blame her poor care at the 1st hospital on the fact that she's on Medicaid because she is receiving top notch care at her present hospital. It's amazing to me how the level of care can be so different between two hospitals in the same city, 10 minutes away from each other. It just makes us sad, to think that possibly the miscarriage could've been avoided had she received any care. But then again, I guess it might be a blessing in disguise. Who knows how her unhealthy body could've carried a child. I guess I felt kinda perterbed that so many people thought it was ok for the hospital to have just sent her home without running any tests that 1st time. Because in some cases......it's not always just a fever.

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:19 PM

If I were her I would have went to a different ER. Its possible that's why she was treated that way but no one will admit it.

A little over a year ago dh was sent from work to an ER for a nose bleed. Later that day he went to a different ER for another nose bleed. The next morning we were in a different ER for yet another nose bleed, we were told by this ER if it happened again come back in and they would admit him. Well that's what happened later that evening went to the same ER but different doctor, so he got sent home. It wasn't till the following day when he started having stroke like symptoms a different ER admitted him. Once admitted the doctors actually listened to my husband and he was treated and released.

There are a lot more details in between but the point is dh went to 4 different ER's 5 different times with the same symptoms but no one was taking him serious. He is on medicaid and the doctors treated him like a drug addict looking for a fix, even after he pissed clean!

LiDoMama
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:22 PM
Yes, they should have kept her overnight with a fever like that- Medicaid or Blue Cross & Blue Shield- it shouldn't matter. I had a severe respiratory infection and a high fever with my 2nd pregnancy, they kept me overnight. I'm so sorry that happened to her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stacey2506
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:26 PM

I would think they wouldn't care if she had medicaid because the hospital will surely get their payment. I would think they would be more apt to kick someine out that has NO insurance. No?

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Sounds like she was treated like one of those people. I had the flu and I was treated fully and better in three days, I'm 13 weeks 5 days pregnant. We also have awesome insurance coverage.

Stacey2506
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Oh and I am sorry that happened to her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Did they run any tests while she was there?

AngeLnChainZ
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:27 PM
4 moms liked this

There isn't much they could have done in the hospital that she wasn't doing at home.. Tylenol and rest is about the only thing you can do for a fever. You've got to realize, it has little to do with the medicaid/non medicaid issue and more about them not being able to keep every single person that comes in with a fever, and flu like symptoms pregnant or not.

Fire13Life

bugsmama149
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Nope, took her temp, gave her some kind of over the counter flu med and waited 30 mins and checked her temp again. It was still 103.8. They sent her home and told her to drink alot of fluids.

Quoting Anonymous:

Did they run any tests while she was there?

BEXi
by BEXi on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Im so sorry for your sisters loss. <3

Money Hungry Mommy Blog

IandLoveandYou
by Penny Lane on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:30 PM

That's sad :(... I'm not sure if that's why she was treated that way, but either way that's horrible.. I'm sorry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)