Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Okay, so I'm NOT a dog person, but...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 72 Replies
1 mom liked this

We have a dog because my husband loves dogs and thinks it's very important for the kids to grow up around a dog. Plus, my Son absolutely adores him. They're best buds.

K. So, I can deal with the whining.. alll.... fucking... day. He just whines all the time. It's not so much whining as he's just very vocal. And he barks anytime someone walks by my street. He's very protective. I overlook it because I really appreciate that he's such a good guard dog. He sounds really scary, big guys are super scared when I answer the door. lol I can also deal with the hair all over my carpets. I vaccum every day if not twice a day. 

My husband feeds him and is supposed to pick up the dog poo every week but forgets. Whatever. What I canNOT stand is the hair and slobber ALLLL over my couch. I love my couch, I searched forever for it, and for the life of me I cannot keep him off of it! He is super sneaky too, only goes on when we're gone or sleeping. There is hair all over it and it looks so gross :( It really makes me sad. I seriously consider getting rid of the dog every time I have to scrub my couch (which is a lot). It makes me totally hate the dog. 

Everything else I can deal with. I'm not mean to him, I buy him treats and take him to the dog park. His whining is like fingernails on a chalkboard and I don't kill him for it. I tell him to shut up a lot, but I don't think he knows that it's a mean thing to say. When he got out one time, I spent days posting up hundreds of fliers and went to the pound twice. Then I paid buko bucks to get him out of the pound. I really am good to him even though I'm not a dog fan.

Does anyone have any advice for keeping the dog off my couch?! I'm about to go insane over here. If my husband gets home while I'm cleaning the couch, he knows not to talk to me because I could rip his head off. The dog is very much my husband's, so he knows that when the dog pisses me off, it's trouble for him. 

I don't know what to do. I am just not a dog person at all. I don't like dogs, I never have. I like outdoor animals, but not things that come inside and track their filth all over the place. But like I said, I've adapted, I'm nice to the dog, it's fine. It's just this damn couch thing.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BEXi
by BEXi on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I dont know how to keep a dog off furniture... but can you get a couch cover to put over it until the dog learns to not jump on the couch?

Money Hungry Mommy Blog

428pm
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:17 PM

my clients keep their dogs off the furniture by putting that plastic carpeting stuff upside down.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Quoting BEXi:

I dont know how to keep a dog off furniture... but can you get a couch cover to put over it until the dog learns to not jump on the couch?

noooooo.....

lol

I don't want ugly couch covers, that totally defeats the purpose of my cool couch. There has to be some spray or something right? Or something that will give him a tiny zap when he gets on it. haha.. is that mean? Just a little zap... more like a buzz. 

usmcwifey11
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:17 PM
2 moms liked this
Crate him when you're gone or sleeping.. My dogs are not allowed on the couch unless they're invited.

Depending on what kind of couch you have, you can Scotch guard it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wkukid
by Beach Bum on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I'm not a dog person either, my SO's dogs had to move out.

CookieMom108
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I've seen these things (not sure what the name is) that you put over your couch to keep the dog hair off.  It's like a sofa cover I guess, but doesn't fit all the way around just the seat and back part.  I saw them around Christmas time, and I'm trying to think of where!  Bed Bath & Beyond maybe?  Target?  Ugh, sorry.  Our dog was trained not to go on the sofa when we got him, so I can't help there.  

SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:19 PM

This. When you are gone or unable to supervise your dog should be crated.

Quoting usmcwifey11:

Crate him when you're gone or sleeping.. My dogs are not allowed on the couch unless they're invited.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:20 PM

hmmmmmm.... that looks like a good idea. I will definitely have to try that. They sell those things at office supply stores, right?

Quoting 428pm:

my clients keep their dogs off the furniture by putting that plastic carpeting stuff upside down.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:20 PM
Kennel him when he can't be watched.
usmcwifey11
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:22 PM
My dogs love their crate. They actually sleep together, lol.

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

This. When you are gone or unable to supervise your dog should be crated.

Quoting usmcwifey11:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)