Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

moms who have had lice with their kids ... help help

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:25 PM
  • 41 Replies

My daughter's school broke out with lice last week when returning to school on Monday. I guess they are to be expected after kids return to school from vacation. Anyway on Wednesday they called me and told me they found lice in her head and to my horror I have it as well. I am pregnant to top it off. I don't want to use the meds sold at the pharmacy because 1. my dr. said most of the time they don't even work & 2. it's too harsh on my daughter's and my body. The first night, I lathered mayo on our hair and covered it with plastic wrap for 3 hrs. Then I did a vinegar wash and combed it out. I have been combing out our hair for an hour each day since then. The first 2 days I got nits out and since then I have seen nothing but false alarms that are only dandruff. I am feeling a lot less itchy but I do feel the occassional itch, which I don't know if it's my mind playing with me because I just want them gone! I've washed bedding and our clothes in hot water, dried them on high. Passed the lint roller every day, vaccummed, changed our shirts and sweaters all the time, have our hair in buns, bagged up all the stuffed animals and toys. How many of you have struggled with this and how long did the problem persist? I got my head checked by another lady and she combed my hair out as well. I am going back to her on Friday so we can comb out my hair again but she assured me she got everything.  I would like some of your opinions and circumstances for peace of mind. I guess the occassional itching, is getting to me.

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:30 PM
Keep checking her hair everyday. You are also supposed to retreat after 7-10 days.

I use preventative measures by putting tea tree oil in our shampoos. I blowdry their hair after each wash, and do a white vinegar rinse after each wash. Their coats are washed weekly, and I wash bedding every other day.

Bag up any and all stuffed animals for 1 month in a black garbage bag.
ilana_ny
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:33 PM

We all had Lice two months ago. I cut my son's hair. my DD i put oil on her hair,  shower cut, left it for the whole day, than comb and washed her hair. On my hair I put oil and vinegar, shower cut for the night. Washed all bedding, towels, plush toys.. everything I could wash really. it didn't return since. 

But now I chek my DD hair everyday. I was itching a week after it :-)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Suave coconut hair shampoo and conditioner is supposed to prevent lice and may help get rid of it. I read Cetaphill put on the hair and dried with a hair dryer and left on overnight helps.

hplesha
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:37 PM

i havent experienced it with my kids, but i had it 3 times in the 6th grade. my mom used the shampoo, and then tried something else, but i would still find bugs in my hair at school and would get sent home. the third time, she called the doctor and he told her to dampen a towel in gasoline and wrap my hair up in it dry, for about 15 mins. then wash my hair. never had them since! but that was over 10 years ago, so who knows if thats still effective lol

zoo003
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:49 PM

When my dd got lice a couple years ago, we washed everything (and I mean everything), sprayed the things that couldn't be washed with a spray that kills lice and used the lice treatment from the store.  However, after using the store lice treatment regiment 2  different times, we still could not get rid of them.  I was combing her hair every day, using the treatment as instructed, but those little things would just not go away (she has really long hair).  We would think we had them all, but then we would find one or a nit.  It was so frustrating.  I ended up calling our pediatrician and was told that the best thing to get rid of them was Cetaphil.  You put it in your hair and blow dry it.  It takes 2-3 times longer to blow dry than normal wet hair, but basically, I believe it suffocates the lice.  If I remember right, we would do this at night, then she would wash her hair in the morning and then I would comb it.  I think we did this for around 10 days (I am sorry, I can not remember exactly how many days).  However, afterwards, no lice.  I was so happy that they were gone and we didn't have to use the awful chemicals in the lice treatment from the store.   Also, thankfully no one else in the house got them from her. 

For preventatives, obviously, washing and not sharing bruses, combs, hats, pillows, bedding, etc with someone who has lice.  Also, put some tea tree oil in your shampoo.  I have heard that the lice hate it.   Good luck.

Redbrandoni
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:58 PM

There is a lot to do. Wash clothing and bedding in hot water, bag up toys, soak brush and hair ties in hot water, use the lice shampoo and comb out lice, eggs and nits, comb through hair every day, vacuum, spray your car and furniture with the lice spray. Use the shampoo again a week later. The eggs may not have been all combed out and could hatch. I even shampood a 3rd week just to be sure. It's a big pain in the ass but you want them to be gone. Talk to your kids about not sharing hats or brushes. My daughter is a hugger so I told her to stop that and give high fives instead. I hope to never go through that again.

ExpectingAubri
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:01 PM
2 moms liked this
Put a lot of hairspray in her hair before school to prevent her from catching it again
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ExpectingAubri
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh and boil combs/brushes
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mom2priceboys
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:07 PM

vinegar has been our key. I put some in a cup and while combing out keep dipping the comb into it they kinda fizz in it plus you are putting it into your hair to kill even more!! Do this every day for a few days and they will be gone - assuming that you have washed everything and bagged toys not washable

thatkidsmomkms
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Wow, autocorrect strikes again lol.

Here's a no-fail no-lice recipe: 1 part tea tree oil (from the pharmacy section) 1 part lemon oil and 1 part orange oil (both found in the furniture polish section) Make as little or as much as you think you'll need. Saturate heads with it, and allow it to sit at least an hour before washing out. You'll need to use Dawn to get it out. If you don't have to be seen in public, there's no harm in not washing it out at all.

To keep them away mix a tablespoon of tea tree oil in a spray bottle of water and shake well, then mist hair a few times a day. My bff and I have 11 kids put together, and they ALLLLLLL got lice together last year. Then she and I got it. Since we both have kids with neurological issues, no way in hell are we putting neurotoxins on them. Took a while to work out a decent recipe, but we managed, and got rid of the little buggers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)