Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

10 kids, both parents on welfare, and they want to rent from us........o.0

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

oh my. 

myself dh and the kids are looking at moving in either feb or march, and have listed our house for long term lease or sale, it is 5 bed and 2 bath,  and because it is a very rural location, listed about $1,000 less than a house of the same size in the city ( we are asking $1,000 mo or $135,000) 

anyways.

so this woman just called, she is looking for a house big enough for her self, her SO and their kids. 10 kids. to be exact.

she has 5, and her SO has 5.

and they are both on welfare. i told them i would want no less than $1,400 mo, for that many people, and that i would have to think about it.

but i am thinking no.

is that bad of me? i mean she sounds really nice and all.....but......ugh..10 kids!

and on welfare! am i being a jerk?

THE BIGGEST CONCERN IS not THEM BEING ON WELFARE, IT IS 10 KIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!! 10!!!!! YOU THINK 2-3 KIDS CAN MAKE A MESS? TRY 10!!!!! AND I ALSO WILL ADMIT, I DONT THINK MOST PEOPLE ON ASSISTANCE ACTUALLY GIVE A SHIT IF THEIR HOUSE GETS WRECKED, AFTER ALL, IT'S NOT COMING OUT OF THEIR POCKET! to answer a few questions; i tend to chat up anyone who calls about our house, find out as much as i can, NOT illegal, and, btw, i DON'T live in the states. how do i know they are on full blown welfare? because i asked if they had work lined up, they DO NOT,she said neither of them worked, how do they live?i also asked that and she told me $1,400 mo WELFARE between the two of them, she gets about $900 mo child support and $3,500 MONTHLY between the two of them in canada child tax benefits. not one penny do they work for. as a hard working person, i cant help but be unimpressed at that. she also told me she has 5 kids, her SO has 5 kids ( now THERE is a GREAT choice, lifer on welfare with 5 kids finds another lifer on welfare with 5 kids, match made in heaven. smh!) and her SO's baby momma is in jail facing 12! charges! and is threatening them from jail as well. and the front window in her 3 bed room house is broken. where she lives with her SO and 10 kids. sounds like an IDEAL renter. we have other applicants who have jobs lined up out here and are moving for WORK. i would rather rent to them this is our HOME we are moving so dh can advance in his line of WORK and we cannot afford thousands in repairs, or people not paying rent and refusing to leave. if it was YOUR house you wouldn't do it either.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Replies (311-320):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 62 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Holy shit...don't rent to them
Those kids WILL destroy your house and you probably will not see much money from them

In my opinion...a family that large that doesn't own their own home isn't going to be very goo renters

JLo1486
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:32 PM
I want to know how you know she is on welfare.....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:51 AM
On the application i have it worded as, "previous residential history".

Quoting Stacey2506:

What if for the previous 5 years the couple were homeowners and had no rental history? This is the first time I have rented in over 10years as we have always owned.

Quoting Anonymous:

We request a 5. Most people her do that. We also dont rent to smokers or people with pets. Some people here wont even rent to anyone under 30. Its all ablut what you prefer. It is still your house.

Quoting Salsacookies:

What if a family hasn't been renting for 10 years? I mean, 10 years ago, I was in high school.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think you should do a 5 - 10 yr rental history check and also a background check. Im picky regardless of how they pay rent. I also do inspections and note the tenant/s on what they need to repair and what i need to repair. I have 5 rental houses.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:56 AM
In your op you make it sound like your issue is welfare also.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mommyofTC:

Exactly!

Quoting Salsacookies:

Not every family on welfare destroys houses. Maybe meet with them and learn a little bit about their family.

them being on welfare is not the issue. the issue is 10 KIDS. i grew up in a family of 7 kids. yeah, our house took a beating. and not because we were "trashy" there was just a lot of us.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 46 on Jan. 15, 2013 at 3:51 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting :

this is our HOUSE. we currently live here. we plan on renovating and selling when the market heats up ( a mine is being built about 25 min from here, will be going in about a year or so) and in the meantime, we will be renting. what if they dont pay their rent? then we are stuck paying rent and mortgage, right? also, how about holes in the walls, broken windows, fucked plumbing from kids throwing stuff in the toilet, destroyed carpets........that is just too many people, and when the rent and damage doesn't come out of their own pocket.......it is A huge risk.

Why the fuck are you even bringing this whole thing here. You have already made up your mind. Did you need the drama today? Did you want to make yourself feel better about not letting them rent it?

just because they have 10 kids doesn't mean that they have custody of all 10 kids. They could have told you so you would know ahead of time incase you saw that many. Odds are half of those 10 kids live with the other parent. And will only be there on weekends or every other weekend.

you say this has nothing to do with them being on welfare? I call bull shit on that. I don't think they called you inquiring about your house and volunteered that they are both on welfare and don't work.

Wait a minute didn't you say you were thinking of maybe renting out your house? So you have decided yet but someone called and inquired already. They must have ESP. 

And then you upped the original amount you were thinking to 1400 a month because they are on WELFARE and have 10 kids.

i think those people would do better not renting from someone who sounds like a slumlord in the making! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 46 on Jan. 15, 2013 at 3:54 AM

If you advertised a house for rent for a certain price you can't up the rent because they have more kids than you like or are on welfare. What happened? The new house you are building cost more than you thought so you need to up the rent to cover the difference? Sounds like a crook to me.

but hey whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 63 on Jan. 15, 2013 at 3:54 AM

With that many kids, they will be on welfare for the rest of their lives, have you seen the income limits for that many kids!?!?!!? what kind of JOBS do they have?? and how old are the kids???

Kim042269
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 3:54 AM

Uh, yeah, you're being a jerk. And I think possibly breaking the law. And you're not supposed to RAISE the amount of rent based on the amount of people - what kind of crap is that? Pretty sure you broke the law with that one too. Get yourself a copy of landlord/tenant rights for your state before you go any further and end up losing your house in a discrimination lawsuit. Which you would deserve. (Judgmental, much?)

carolyntx
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 3:55 AM
Families with that many kids actually tend to be more organized and Id imagine they want a country home so kids can play outside. Can you imagine supporting 10 kids without some welfare? I mean they didn't decide to have them all on welfare, they're blended family, probably still adjusting.

Quoting Anonymous:

thats what i was thinking..i mean i feel "bad" for them....it's gotta be rough looking for housing with that many kids......but fuck.....my 3 are hard on a house, i can only imagine what 10 would be like......

Quoting skmehlebam:

Don't do it. If you do I will be here waiting to tell you I told you so. They will trash your house.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lalalie
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:07 AM

Sounds like a very bad idea.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN