Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anxiety Medications

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:58 PM
  • 14 Replies

My anxiety is getting out of control. Whenever I'm crossing a bridge I freak out. I get tightness in my chest, jittery, heart starts pounding, sweating, etc.

I'm flying 1500 miles in March and fly back home a week later. The THOUGHT of the flight is freaking me out. The other night I started crying because I wanted a refund for my tickets-- I wanted to cancel my trip.

I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow about my anxiety, but I'm not sure what medication works the best, and side effects.

I could search it, yes. But I prefer the opinions from those who've used an anxiety medication, or more than one...

Exile Island. A fun place with colorful people. 

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:16 AM

Bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:19 AM
I've only used one, xanax, it worked for me and didn't make me loopy or high, but I know it does for a lot of people.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:19 AM

I have Xanax and Klonopin.

I prefer the Klonopin to  The Xanax. It lasts longer IMHO

BoggiezMom
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:19 AM
I take Zoloft
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
melissam21
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:22 AM
I took Klonopin it relaxed me and made me feel a little tired.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NBean311
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:23 AM

I don't like Xanax, it makes me feel like a zombie and I had insane night terrors and sleep paralysis while I was on it. 

I take 800mG of Valerian every day. It is an herb. It doesn't do as much as a regular medication, but it definitely takes the edge off. 

I have also taken Kava Kava, but it has been shown to do liver damage, so I only take it intermittently. 

Passion Flower also works well.

Sorry most of mine are more natural, not medication. I'm still exploring the balance between natural and medication. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:44 AM
I've used xanax. It wotks. But use it only when needed. Like flying or interview. It's habit forming. Don't use regularly for more than two-three weeks. Withdrawal from xanax is not fun. Aderal also worked well for me but it gives me dry mouth and insomnia. Seek some therapy and practice meditation for long run. They are why today I"m medication free.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:48 AM
I have ptsd from a car accident. I take ativan 1 mg twice a day. It doesn't make me tired and I can even drive on it. Though I still rarely drive.
Mrs.Winchester
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:00 AM

If you are just looking for quick relief for something like an airplane ride I would suggest a drug like Xanax.  Antidepressants rarely work for anxiety and take months to take effect.  I don't have personal experience with Xanax but it's pretty popular.  Doctors are usually strict about giving these medicines out though because they are addicting. 

bribabyfever7
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:13 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with mrs Winchester's post above. Also i whole heartedly suggest that you not only for your trip but for heart attacks sake calm down, look into calming yoga, meditation, stopping any caffeine intake you may have, if you smoke quit.

Try lavender and chamomille herbal teas. Spearmint tea is also calming. Look into things that will help you in the long run. I used to have horrible anxiety related to post traumatic stress disorder. You need to do these things, and build up your faith in life and that everything will be alright, whatever it is it will be!!! <3
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)