Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

did you do research?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:19 PM
  • 24 Replies
1 mom liked this

before you brought your pet home?

It kinda amazes me how many people do not.  I love my ferret baby and I am very familiar with the animal and did a year of research before deciding a ferret was right for us.

I've seen many ferrets at the rescue I volunteer with who were surrendered because "we didnt realize how much work they are"

so ladies, do you think a person should research first and a pet is a pet for life, or learn as you go and if it doesnt work out thats not your fault?

Also, what do you think about "trading" pets?

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Yes I did. I think it's very important to research the breed characteristics and training methods.

Sassy762
by 200 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Yes......I think everyone should before owning a pet. They aren't disposable

beachbabies6
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:22 PM

i agree

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

Yes I did. I think it's very important to research the breed characteristics and training methods.

wumbo
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Doing anything that's a real commitment on a whim is silly, to me. 

"Let's have a baby because they're cute!"

"I want a puppy so I can put in it sweaters and little hats!"

"I want to join the circus because it looks like fun and I'd get to travel around the country!"

.Nobody.
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Nope. I bought him cuz he was cute and snuggly. That was 5 years ago and I wouldn't get another animal before doing research again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrimsonRose01
by ~Cassandra~ on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Yes, we have two Boxers, and before we got our first one, we researched the traits of that particular breed and the best training methods so we could make sure they were the right breed for us. So many Boxers wind up abandoned or in a rescuse because people don't realize how energetic they are and how much exercise and attention they need. Yes, people need to do research on the pet they want to get. I think it would save a lot of animals.
Photobucket
melakay1981
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:27 PM

My husband went and bought my kids goldfish without researching.....I hate them, they are gross and I cannot wait until I can send them to sea.

jbirdsladie27
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:27 PM
Didn't have to research, I already understood the commitment & time it would take to involve dogs in our lives, our 15 year old mutt passed away 2 Saturdays ago. It's devasting :( we have 4 more dogs 2 Chihuahuas, a Jack Russel & another mutt, they're my girls <3 them all
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Babujai
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:29 PM
I'm still researching. We've agreed on a breed, but I'm still researching common ailments, training and grooming for that breed. Also licensing and vaccination rules for our city and costs.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BluePandaDreams
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:30 PM
I don't need to do any research to know that owning a pet takes time and commitment. I have three dogs, so I know first hand how much work it is owning a pet, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)