Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

for moms that drink almond milk

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:46 PM
  • 17 Replies
so i just got 2 things of almond milk for my kids tonight to try the vanilla and chocolate they love it! so im thinking of doing away with regular milk my thing is can i use almond milk for my cooking like i do with regular (not the flavored kind of course)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsSamMerlotte
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Coconut isn't bad either. And is really easy to make your own nut milk
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jessica_Esqueda
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:47 PM

You can use almond milk for cooking, but personally I prefer coconut milk (plain unsweetened). It mimicks cows milk a bit better and is thicker... I use it just like cow's milk! With almond milk, you have to play around a bit to figure out the ratio ... straight substitions don't always work. 

wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Ive never tried cooking with it, but we drink it and use it in cereal instead of milk

luvmymunchkins3
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:49 PM
i didnt see coconut milk ill have to look next time

Quoting MrsSamMerlotte:

Coconut isn't bad either. And is really easy to make your own nut milk
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GhettoKoolAide
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:50 PM
I love almond milk but it hates me! It's high in iron and gives me tummy troubles. But it's really hard to use almond milk in recipes because its not as thick.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Mmm...I love chocolate almond milk...coconut makes a better cooking substitute, though...

TheQueenOfChaos
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I just found the recipe for making your own nut milk. Can you use any kind of nuts? Or are only certain ones good for milk?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I stopped cooking with almond milk, it seemed to give the food a peppermint taste... wierd. Coconut milk is better to cook with!

JasonsMom2007
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:00 PM

We've made almond milk and cashew milk.  We've also made oat milk and rice milk before.

My personal favorite is cashew milk.  I can make a killer sugar free hot chocolate with it :)

Quoting TheQueenOfChaos:

I just found the recipe for making your own nut milk. Can you use any kind of nuts? Or are only certain ones good for milk?

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
TheQueenOfChaos
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:12 PM

DD is allergic to peanuts, so I'm also hoping to make other nut butters for her. She had a slight allergy to cashews and pecans as well. She hasn't had a cashew but has outgrown the pecan reaction.

YDD has a soy allergy and milk protien sensitivity. She's almost 1 but she can't eat off of a spoon yet (tongue development issues, she's seeing a therapist). I'm hoping to make some milks that she can drink without reaction, but is it safe to give nut milks to babies under 2?

How do you make oat milk?

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

We've made almond milk and cashew milk.  We've also made oat milk and rice milk before.

My personal favorite is cashew milk.  I can make a killer sugar free hot chocolate with it :)

Quoting TheQueenOfChaos:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)