Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SAHD

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:08 PM
  • 13 Replies

Poll

Question: Has your DH/SO been a SAHD at one point or another?

Options:

Yes, currently

Yes, but it didn't work out

No, never

We've considered it

Anything else, feel free to share!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 31

View Results

Out of curiosity, has your husband or SO ever been a stay at home dad? Was he good at it? Did he enjoy it? Did you?

Dh stayed home and played "mom" for about 8 months. After working 2 jobs everyday and coming home to a hungry child and a very dirty home, I couldn't do it any more. So we switched back to the way things were before he became mr. mom. 

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsRobinson06
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:10 PM
He's going to start being one in June when my maternity leave is up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pnukey
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Yes, and he as awesome at it. Both kids are in school now, so we both work. I checked "other" because it DID work out, until it wasn't needed anymore.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Years ago when our dd was 5. I worked he didn't it was only for 6 months or so. He fed her but that's about it. He spent all day playing games on the comp.

He's grown up a lot since then so if he ever had to do it again I would like to think it would be different. And after being a sahm for 9 years now, I would expect perfection lol
FL2AK
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:17 PM

My husband was a SAHD/full time student for a year and a half.  We both enjoyed it and so did the kids.  My husband was laid off very suddenly and we realized he could focus on college and finish his degree while I worked.

maciymommieof3
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:19 PM

You betcha! He has been this for now 12 years...(our oldest is 12)...It was a decision we made together when we were planning to have a family...and Lifes a Dream :)

SRUsarahSC
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this

my husband has been a SAHD, on and off, for our DD's entire 14 months, due to layoffs.  At first, he sucked at it and I would be pissed because I would come home to a dirty house, messy kid, no dinner, etc.  We had several discussions where I pointed out to him that I work 40-50 hours a week, so while he's not working, he should still be dedicating that much time to housework, shopping, cleaning, etc.  He's now fairly well "trained" and we have pretty much a complete reversal of a the 1950s lifestyle. It's not perfect, but it's working for us, and this way he has gotten to see his firstborn grow up a lot more than most men do.

crochetmom07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:33 PM
My dh it's currently a sahd. He just got home from a deployment a couple months ago and is looking for a job in a different field than he was in. He's national guard and hated the job he had before he deployed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Oh no. He makes waay too much money for him to stay home. I couldn't make near as much as he does.

NiCo86
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:36 PM
he was a stay at home dad for two years. he was amazing! he isnt now, we needed him to go back to work for financial purposes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Yes, he did it for several years when he went back to college and I was working full-time. He hated it, but he did a great job at it. Now, I've been a SAHM for 10 years and LOVE IT!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)