Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Only child moms. Right choice or wrong?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies
So are there any moms out there who have an only child and are glad about that decision?

If so what have been the pros? What made you decide to only have one child and feel confident with your choice?

I have a 4 year old and I never wanted kids before him. He is our pride and joy but I just don't know if having another is smart or not. Finances and our marriage are not a factor. Our family keeps saying how our son will be alone in life etc. I never felt it was that big of a deal nor a reason to have another but I just don't want to miss the opportunity and regret it. Help!

My son is 4 pretty good, no tantrums, has ADHD (very hyper never slows down) but after hearing friends stories I have it pretty easy.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DieMyDarling
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
winkyloafer
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:09 PM
I didn't want any before I had mine. Pregnancy and childbirth were Hell so I have no plans to go through that again. I'm blessed to have my baby girl but never again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:09 PM
I have one child. She's 11. She's not so lonely. She has friends and cousins to play with. We enjoyed it being the 3 of us. Right now I'm pregnant, not planned. We are excited about it though. My daughter is really excited and can't wait to help out.
gblossom
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:11 PM

One and fun - that's what we call it. Quite a few people have told us that we need to have more - but we're us and they are them, we decide what we do in our life. 

pattya925
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I have one son that is 10 yrs old.  I had one miscarriage after he was born.  I divorced when he was 2 and just have never been in a place again that having another child made sense.  Now that he is so independent, I don't want to start over again.  I like our little family unit.  He is very close with his cousins and sees them often.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:11 PM
I only have one, but he has autism. I would like another, but I wouldn't want to take away attention that he needs. I'm also worried that I would have another with autism.
JakesMom712
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:12 PM
I can afford to spoil him, give him my undivided attention. The downside is, there's no one else to occupy his. Lol ill probably adopt in a few years tho.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:14 PM
I was an only child it was pretty lonely and you do enc up looking at adults for play and amusement. I do believe it forced me to grow up too soon. Fortunately I had my cousins on the weekends to play with or my life would have been really different. Anyway I have one 13 month son now and defiantly want another so they'll have each other!
shivasgirl
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:15 PM

I had an only child for 17 years, I didnt want anymore after him and it was the right choice for me at the time. He never suffered for being an "only" After his father and I split he remained his dad's only... I had twins when he was 17 and already out of my house. Heloves his brother and sister, but is glad he didnt grow up with close in age siblings

illinoismommy83
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:15 PM

I'm an only child. I was just fine. We have 2 kids, but I always wanted 2 kids. My mom wanted 1 and had one. My parents were married for 7 years before they had me and 18 years after. There was never a point during my childhood where the household income was below $100k. One kid just WORKS for some people.

If you want only 1, enjoy your son. Don't have another unless you want another child FOR YOU. Don't do it for your son. Don't do it for your relatives. Do it if and only if you want more kids.

Just because you have money and are stable in your marriage doesn't mean you need to pop out tons of kids. Do YOU want a 2nd kid? Do you want to go through the baby stuff again?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)