Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you adopt a baby knowing the birth mother has mental disabilities?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies

The reason I ask is because I found out that a girl that I know is pregnant and she knows she is unable to properly care for this child. Her sister asked me if my dh and I would like to adopt this baby. (I have had major baby fever since I met my dh 4 years ago but because of me having my tubes tied obviously aren't able to have a baby.) I have known this family for close to 20 years and am familiar with the birth moms health history. Mental disabilities aren't anything new to me because my ex has them. And my oldest daughter also has them as well. I know its not the baby's fault and there is a chance that s/he could be perfectly fine or that some could be inherited. After talking to my husband about this we have decided that if she in fact does decide to place this baby with us we will take him or her in with open and loving arms. But would you do this if you knew the birth moms history?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:37 PM

What's the disability? That's a factor to me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Mental issues are inherited?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:39 PM
1 mom liked this

It would not matter ,if  you and your dh want and will love the child no matter what problems it might have then that is wonderful .I hope it works out

Sassy762
by 200 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:40 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes...I would

My biggest fear about adopting is that the Birth Mom will want the baby back

Mommynwife26
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes. Its not always genetic, its enviormental as well. If you give the baby a stable home it very well could turn out to be mentally stable and show no signs of mental illness. And if it does then I wouldn't love the chd any less and do everything to help.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
shivasgirl
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:41 PM
1 mom liked this

not after the issues we are having with my stepson. His mother is bipolar and he is too

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Mental issues are inherited?

Yes, they can be hereditary.

whitneymf
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes I would if I was able to properly care for the child no matter the circumstances a child is a child and they all need a loving family/ home.
svolkov
1 mom liked this
This.

Quoting Mommynwife26:

Yes. Its not always genetic, its enviormental as well. If you give the baby a stable home it very well could turn out to be mentally stable and show no signs of mental illness. And if it does then I wouldn't love the chd any less and do everything to help.

LucyHarper
1 mom liked this

Yes, the mother having one doesn't mean the child will. If they do, I would deal with it, it's a risk you run with any child and not a reason to turn a child away, I don't expect my kids to be perfect and wouldn't love them any less if they weren't.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)