Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

how do you believe?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 55 Replies
1 mom liked this
I just don't understand, can't even wrap my head around, how people can be religious. I get the need, the want, the hope that something is waiting for us after death, but I just can't believe that there is. I feel like it is the same as an adult who whole heartedly believes in Santa clause... its ridiculous. There's an omnipotent being out there who hears your thoughts and controls all that happens in this world, in the lives of billions of people? It just confuses me that anyone could truly believe it.
I want to believe in something, would love to think that I will be reunited with the people I love after I die, but I know I never will. I lost my blind faith a long time ago.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:18 AM
4 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

I just don't understand, can't even wrap my head around, how people can be religious. I get the need, the want, the hope that something is waiting for us after death, but I just can't believe that there is. I feel like it is the same as an adult who whole heartedly believes in Santa clause... its ridiculous. There's an omnipotent being out there who hears your thoughts and controls all that happens in this world, in the lives of billions of people? It just confuses me that anyone could truly believe it.
I want to believe in something, would love to think that I will be reunited with the people I love after I die, but I know I never will. I lost my blind faith a long time ago.

The first step is understanding that not all religions believe in the highlighted parts.  There are religions that view the Universe itself as the Creator. There are religions that believe that all worship the same deity instead of believing there is just one right and true one. There are religions that believe in Karma instead of a deity controlling everything.  There are religions that believe that their deity has nothing to do with the actions of man on earth that man alone is responsible for them. There are religions that believe in reincarnation, not heaven or hell at all.  It's easier to understand why some believe what they believe when you expand your thinking past Judeo-Christian ideologies and start taking in other beliefs. Especially if you already are too a point where one specific ideology makes no sense to you.

caito
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:21 AM

I don't understand it either. I don't think I ever really did, even as a kid growing up in a Christian home. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:23 AM
2 moms liked this
You have the devil in you.

*snickers and runs away*
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:23 AM
I guess I am currently fixated on Christian type beliefs, since I attended a Christian funeral recently.. but I really cannot understand any belief other than you die, your body and mind stop, you disintegrate back into the earth. End of story.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

The first step is understanding that not all religions believe in the highlighted parts.  There are religions that view the Universe itself as the Creator. There are religions that believe that all worship the same deity instead of believing there is just one right and true one. There are religions that believe in Karma instead of a deity controlling everything.  There are religions that believe that their deity has nothing to do with the actions of man on earth that man alone is responsible for them. There are religions that believe in reincarnation, not heaven or hell at all.  It's easier to understand why some believe what they believe when you expand your thinking past Judeo-Christian ideologies and start taking in other beliefs. Especially if you already are too a point where one specific ideology makes no sense to you.

amyleigh80
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:23 AM
I feel the same at times. I was very religious as a child but now I have a hard time with my faith. I wish it was stronger.
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:24 AM
4 moms liked this
Christians could probably say the same thing. How can you not believe.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
T-HoneyLuv
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:26 AM
4 moms liked this
* Shrugs * Their is zero doubt in my mind that God is real. My faith is the center of my life, I cannot imagine being without it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:26 AM

The majority of religions that believe in reincarnation would agree with you. The body is just a shell, one that dies, rots and disappears. It's just the essence or the energy of a being that transcends from lifetime to lifetime. Energy is energy, it's never destroyed. Since we are energy, I see how some can believe that the energy within us transcends from being to being instead of dying.

Quoting Anonymous:

I guess I am currently fixated on Christian type beliefs, since I attended a Christian funeral recently.. but I really cannot understand any belief other than you die, your body and mind stop, you disintegrate back into the earth. End of story.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:29 AM
I can see how this could make sense, but how does it explain the new energy of so many new souls? There is definitely more people alive now than even just 100 years ago.

Quoting Anonymous:

The majority of religions that believe in reincarnation would agree with you. The body is just a shell, one that dies, rots and disappears. It's just the essence or the energy of a being that transcends from lifetime to lifetime. Energy is energy, it's never destroyed. Since we are energy, I see how some can believe that the energy within us transcends from being to being instead of dying.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)