Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

One without religion lacks morals. Agree or disagree?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I see this all the time on here and I was wondering all your opinions.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:49 AM
Replies (31-40):
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:09 AM

That's what I've always thought...are most people only being good just so they are rewarded (Pavlov's dogs) or are they being good, just for the sake of being good? I know where I stand...

Quoting Mrs.DebB:

In fact, I would go so far as to say that true morality should be measured as what you do or believe because YOU think it is right, not because you fear some sort of punishment. I, personally, have never been one to do or say things because I fear repercussions.

Quoting Mrs.DebB:

I completely disagree! Religion does not equate morality.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:11 AM
Quoting Dzyre1115:

These people are devout, and believe they are acting according to Gods will. So your statement is flawed.
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:13 AM

No, their perception of religion may be flawed!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

These people are devout, and believe they are acting according to Gods will. So your statement is flawed.

Kelseyciarah
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Disagree. I was "raised" Christian, but about a year ago I denounced the faith because I found the holy bible to be a CROCK. (Along with the general ideas of Christianity).

And yet, I am very conservative and moral bound, the lot of Christian's or other people of faith are way more liberal than I am.

People who are religious think that a "sin" will get you to hell, people like me think a "sin" will just bring you BAD karma, you do bad things, bad things happen to you. At least thats the way I think about it. I want my life to be full of good things, so I try to do good, and practice "good".

SkullGoddess
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:19 AM

I have to disagree. My husdand is an Atheist and I'm not affiliated with religon. Both of us raise our children to know right from wrong. We have strong morals and just because I don't pray or go to church does not mean we are lacking of morals. To each his own!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Both. 

It is my personal opinion, that most morals come from religion. (no matter what that religion) 

HOWEVER, you do not have to BE religious to have morals. 

i just feel, whenever i hear the word or think the owrd morals, i think religion. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Dzyre1115:

Look up the word devout. They don't have to have the "right" perception of a religion to be devout! So your statement is still flawed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:28 AM

we are talking about religions in general. why do you need to pick on the 'God' religions? 

how do you know its not an earth bound mommy telling us what is right and wrong? 

or a mountain bound sister? 

water bound brother? 

nope. its always the sky daddy :) 

Quoting heresjohnny:

I don't need an invisible sky-daddy to tell me what's right and wrong.

sithmama
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Disagree. 

504bbymami
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:31 AM
3 moms liked this
Disagree.

If anything, it would be more sensible to argue the opposite.

A person with religion lives by these morals to either be rewarded by heaven or escape the punishment of hell. Whereas , a person without religion is simply doing what is right for the sake of what is right.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured