Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

my daughter is getting bullied, how do you handle it?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 3:38 PM
  • 38 Replies

I've never had to deal with this before so im not sure what i should do, or if i should do anything. 

my dd(5) is in kindergarten. at first she loved school, but as the year goes on shes starting to hate it. i guess some of the kids have been mean to her. they wont play with her at recess and they call her stupid and dumb. im not really sure what the reason for this is, she is a good kid and there are no complaints from her teacher of any bad behavior or anything. well today she came really upset about it and is refusing to go to school tomorrow. she said everyone was really mean to her all day. i asked her if she told the teacher and she said no. when i asked why not she said cuz she doesnt want to get everyone in trouble cuz they will just be mean to her even more. 

thing is, we are moving in a few weeks and she will be going to a different school. should i just let it go and try to make it thru the next few weeks? or should I say something? I remember getting bullied in elementary school and i know firsthand having my mom talk to the teacher about it only made it worse, so im afraid of that happening to her too. 

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
superm0m877
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 3:40 PM

BUMP!

DiANAiVELiSSE
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 3:41 PM

OMGosh I don't even know what to say here.. sorry haven't experienced this yet

brittanyjenean
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Personally, I would talk to the teacher.  Even though you are moving, it could prevent it from happening to someone else. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 15, 2013 at 3:45 PM

As a child that was bullied all through school, at varying degrees. It never helps to talk to a teacher, because yes, the kids will be even worse towards her. Teach her to not care what others think of her, and that if they don't like her, they don't like her, tell her to find someone else to play with, because I'm sure not ALL the kids hate it.

Ms.KitKat
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 3:48 PM

IDK about your state but in my state, there are anti-bullying laws which tecahers/school admins must enforce.

Besides, no child should be bullied even for "just a few more weeks."

Speak up. At the very least- it will teach your DD that it is ok to speak up for yourself!

Amiehart62
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Most wont agree with me because "two wrongs don't make a right" but I would give the teacher a chance to fix it and if she/he doesn't I would let the teacher and the principle know that I told my kid not to let others bully her....the best way to get someone off of your back is for them to know that you're meaner then they are.

This may not be the "right way" but it's true.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Phoenix2011
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Is your daughter prone to being dramatic? If not I would find out what she is doing that would cause her entire class to dislike her. The only reason I am putting it that way before every one jumps down my throat is because it is one thing to not be the popular kid, or the kid that not everyone plays with but to clearly state that the entire class does not like her there must be an issue because even the unpopular kids still have another unpopular kid to play with. Find out why they do not want to play with her ask her what happened before the other kids started to refuse to play with her. I am not saying the issue may be all on your daughter but something may have happened that she is not telling you about.

Stevie, I am the proud mom of Phoenix, and the proud wife of Boston My OTR Trucker.  

RaynesMommy07
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Teach her to take up for herself. When they say mean things tell her to retaliate. I got "bullied" in 3rd grade by a boy. He'd tease me and pull my hair. I told my mom and dad they said next time he touches you slap the ish out of him. So I did. Never was bullied again.
mommy_2_be_2010
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:00 PM
When you transfer schools for her take her and introduce her to the class and sit in class with her

If you can sit with her over the next few weeks too
piratehooker
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:01 PM
I have 2 kids who were bullied. One is now 18 and the other is 12. You have to be up on that schools shit to get them to react. Document everything she tells you and then on a weekly basis at least tell her teacher and principal what is going on.

My oldest got suicidal in 8th grade and i had to threatened legal action.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)