Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Cockatoos.

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:03 PM
  • 23 Replies
We've been offered a 20 year old cockatoo. We're very interested but I'd love some more info from anyone who has one.

Pros? Cons? We currently have a husky mix, cat and rabbit. Am I insane?!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:04 PM
They are loud! Even when covered.my bff has one and she works third shift.the thing sings all day lol
sugareemommee
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:04 PM
Bump
sugareemommee
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:05 PM
That's what I'm worried about.

Is she going to keep us up all night?

Quoting Anonymous:

They are loud! Even when covered.my bff has one and she works third shift.the thing sings all day lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Do your research on the costs. exotic birds are expensive to upkeep. Make sure you have an exotic bird vet near you. Make sure you are ready for a very loud pet.

428pm
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I had one as a kid and worked with birds.  They are dusty.  VERY dusty, loud, have a smell if not cared for properly, expensive and take as much attention and care as a 2-3 yr old.  

It's not your typical bird, not the same as having a parakeet

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Rawly(the bird name) sleeps at night but comes 6am he's wide awake.he's pretty friendly too.she can let him out around her three dogs with no problem.I think they beautiful birds

Quoting sugareemommee:

That's what I'm worried about.

Is she going to keep us up all night?

Quoting Anonymous:

sugareemommee
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Thank you. She comes with about a years supply of everything but I don't just want to jump into this!

Quoting Anonymous:

Do your research on the costs. exotic birds are expensive to upkeep. Make sure you have an exotic bird vet near you. Make sure you are ready for a very loud pet.

428pm
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:07 PM

aldo, they can be destructive, need a lot of stimulation and their diet can be expensive

sugareemommee
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Well shit.

I already have one 2 year old..

Thank you!

Quoting 428pm:

I had one as a kid and worked with birds.  They are dusty.  VERY dusty, loud, have a smell if not cared for properly, expensive and take as much attention and care as a 2-3 yr old.  

It's not your typical bird, not the same as having a parakeet

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:09 PM
they live a LONG time they need attention some of them can get depressed and pick their feathers out.the one i had only liked me.i hated the damn thing but she wouldnt let anyone else touch her they need things to do and a veriaty of fruits and vegies they can be loud but that also depends on the bird and also there is normally a reason for it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)