Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do people use H&R Block?

Posted by   + Show Post

Up until I was 23 I used H & R Block (or places like it)...until I realized they screwed me out of a lot of money one year.  I also realized they just pump numbers in to a program...same thing as Turbo Tax. 

I am lucky.  My taxes are really easy.  I know some people have a lot of different levels to their taxes, so maybe in their case it makes sense??  I work with a girl who is single and she pays 300 bucks for hers - that she could do on Turbo Tax for 20 bucks.  Another lady I know pays them 600.00.  WTF.  Another lady who has a side business and all kinds of things to go on her taxes pays an accountant to do hers.  Under 200 bucks. 

I don't get why or how these places are still in business....

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:04 PM
Replies (31-40):
kngarber
by Katie on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:12 PM

This has happened to two of my friends as well.  Both had their refunds instantly denied.  Even if they sent it in through the mail it would still get kicked back.

Quoting Anonymous:

How is that possible ? As soon as the social security numbers came up twice one of your returns would be denied. I know because my mom tried to claim my siblings after I had already filed. And her return was rejected.

Quoting Teacher101:

• I use them because they will protect me in case of an audit. My ex has claimed the kids in years he was not allowed to claim them, so we both ended up claiming them. I am worried the IRS will come asking questions. I like the audit protection that H & R provides.

mysticmom90
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:13 PM

We have an accountant who does our taxes its 100.00, i have a small "avon" type income, plus school, plus my husband's work deductions that need to be taken into account for taxes. I would never use H&R they take people with just highschool diplomas a 72hr course and call them experts. BULL

kngarber
by Katie on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:13 PM

I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure they were stopped from doing that.  Like I said I could be wrong.

Quoting Anonymous:

Immediate funds.

momof2891
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this
We used H&R Block every year except last year. The place we used last year completely screwed us so we took our tax stuff to H&R Block and found out we should have gotten an additional $1100. This year we will go back to H&R Block. Plus we can get support from them in the case of an audit. I would gladly pay their fees knowing it is done right.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Its free for us. MIL owns one and she does our taxes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I am using a tax service this year because I need mosey ASAP and can get a advance on my refund as soon as my papers are accepted.

michiganmom5150
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:14 PM
I have an accountant do mine. She's a friend, but I pay her regular rate, which is $45. Takes her like 20 minutes. I usually slip her a $50, just cause. But it's so much cheaper to go that way. Granted I don't get my taxes same day or next day, but I don't have crazy plans for it either.
Teacher101
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I know he pulled it off in 2009 because he owed back child support. I got a huge chunk of money from his garnished return. When I asked him how he got such a large return he informed me he claimed our kids. I reminded him that he wasn't allowed to claim the kids if he was behind on his child support. We had both already filed and received our returns. He never corrected it because he didn't want to have to pay the money back.

Quoting Anonymous:

How is that possible ? As soon as the social security numbers came up twice one of your returns would be denied. I know because my mom tried to claim my siblings after I had already filed. And her return was rejected.

Quoting Teacher101:

• I use them because they will protect me in case of an audit. My ex has claimed the kids in years he was not allowed to claim them, so we both ended up claiming them. I am worried the IRS will come asking questions. I like the audit protection that H & R provides.

dollface929
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:15 PM
This ... I have used them before. It cost me almost 400 dollars. I don't know about some people but that is a lot to me, especially after I started using the Turbo tax software and it cost like 35 dollars.

Quoting Anonymous:

Because they're lazy or stupid or both.

workingmama86
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:15 PM
I use turbo tax. My ex is a sole proprietor, so he files with Jackson Hewitt to make sure all of his deductions are accounted for
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)