Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do you lose weight when you're broke?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I love to eat healthy, but we're flat out broke. I can't afford a lot of healthy food, and what I can afford goes to the kids so they can stay healthy. We're at the point where all we can afford is ramen and pork n' beans (not literally but we're just about to that point). Fresh fruits and veggies and whole grains aren't an option for us, and it sucks. Does anyone know what to do?

ETA: My dad bought a yearly membership to a local gym for me for Christmas. It's helped, but I want to eat healthy to progress the weight loss faster. I exercise five days a week at the gym and walk thirty minutes on weekends with the kids.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Replies (11-20):
pce68
by Patti on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:21 PM

I can't even afford Ramen right now.

malibucj
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Frozen Veggies are usually cheap. And chicken

MrsMedina90
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I count my calories and exercise

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:30 PM

I have a membership to gym that was given to me by my father for Christmas,  I can excercise for free. I cannot eat healthy for free.

Quoting Anonymous:

Exercise at home? I'm pretty sure that's free.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:30 PM

No?

Quoting Anonymous:

Food stamps? WIC?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:31 PM

We can't get WIC because A) DH won't accept any assistance and B) my kids are too old to qualify.

Quoting mommy2twoboys46:

Drink lots and lots of water. You should be able to get WIC even if you don't qualify for food stamps. Exercise. Watch portion sizes.

banana-bear
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Healthy foods are pretty cheap, actually. And they fill you up longer than junk does. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:32 PM

I live in GA. Our tap water isnt good, but we buy bottles of water at Aldi, it's pretty cheap. I'm not sure of any farmers markets around here, and again, we can't afford it.

Quoting Mrs.Bryant1201:

Water is free. And start shopping at the farmers market and local produce stands. Where do you live?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Fruits and veggies, only water. Not that expensive.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have a membership to gym that was given to me by my father for Christmas,  I can excercise for free. I cannot eat healthy for free.

Quoting Anonymous:

Exercise at home? I'm pretty sure that's free.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:33 PM

I went to the grocery store with money my dad gave me last week and spent $75 on fruits, veggies, and whole grains alone...ridiculous. We're now out of milk, meat and chicken until we get paid the 23rd. 

Quoting banana-bear:

Healthy foods are pretty cheap, actually. And they fill you up longer than junk does. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN