Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do you lose weight when you're broke?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I love to eat healthy, but we're flat out broke. I can't afford a lot of healthy food, and what I can afford goes to the kids so they can stay healthy. We're at the point where all we can afford is ramen and pork n' beans (not literally but we're just about to that point). Fresh fruits and veggies and whole grains aren't an option for us, and it sucks. Does anyone know what to do?

ETA: My dad bought a yearly membership to a local gym for me for Christmas. It's helped, but I want to eat healthy to progress the weight loss faster. I exercise five days a week at the gym and walk thirty minutes on weekends with the kids.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Replies (31-40):
banana-bear
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Sounds like you need to shop more wisely then. And try cutting out the meat. How often do you eat it weekly for dinner? 4 times a week is plenty. Look up vegetarian meals and experiment. You can also make your own bread at home for SUPER cheap and eat that with every meal. Also, don't use milk as a beverage - use it just for cooking/baking. Water is better and exponentially cheaper.

Quoting Anonymous:

I went to the grocery store with money my dad gave me last week and spent $75 on fruits, veggies, and whole grains alone...ridiculous. We're now out of milk, meat and chicken until we get paid the 23rd. 

Quoting banana-bear:

Healthy foods are pretty cheap, actually. And they fill you up longer than junk does. 

Owl_Feather
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:37 PM
I do yoga, walk a lot and started jogging with my dog.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Eat in moderation then. It shouldn't be anymore than 50-100 for two weeks supply. Is that too much?

Quoting Anonymous:

They're expensive for a weeks or two weeks supply.

Quoting Anonymous:

Fruits and veggies, only water. Not that expensive.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have a membership to gym that was given to me by my father for Christmas,  I can excercise for free. I cannot eat healthy for free.

Quoting Anonymous:

Exercise at home? I'm pretty sure that's free.

moneysaver6
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Exercise at home? I'm pretty sure that's free.

mstricey
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Salad isn't that expensive to make. Lettuce, tomato, onion, and carrots can be bought for under 5 bucks.
sassyme999
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Don't eat sounds like a good way !
Mrs.Bryant1201
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Im in FL and I totally understand the tap water thing. :( But my local produce stand sells the BEST produce! Dh, myself and DS can eat off of $10 a week for most meals and snacks. We boil our water for green tea. Its much cheaper then buying processed drinks in bottles. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I live in GA. Our tap water isnt good, but we buy bottles of water at Aldi, it's pretty cheap. I'm not sure of any farmers markets around here, and again, we can't afford it.

Quoting Mrs.Bryant1201:

Water is free. And start shopping at the farmers market and local produce stands. Where do you live?

mommy2twoboys46
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Ah, I forget about the age limits lol Water and cardio is your best bet. Anytime you can get your heartrate up will be good. Do jumping jacks while you're waiting for the bathtub to fill, run in place while you're stirring dinner, whenever you have a minute to do something to get your heart going!

Quoting Anonymous:

We can't get WIC because A) DH won't accept any assistance and B) my kids are too old to qualify.

Quoting mommy2twoboys46:

Drink lots and lots of water. You should be able to get WIC even if you don't qualify for food stamps. Exercise. Watch portion sizes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Lemon juice?

I love brown rice, I actually had a bowl tonight. I also eat a lot of chicken breast, I buy a big bag of frozen that lasts me almost a month, I use four breasts a meal (we eat chicken meals 4 times a week, then red meat meals the other days).  Do you mean regular oatmeal, not the flavored kind?

Thanks!

Quoting Anonymous:

You can still watch your caloric intake, brown rice isn't much more than white (especially if you're not buying minute rice, the stuff i get is 99ยข a bag, frozen vegis, a bag of apples, chicken breast is cheap, buy it on the bone & take the skin off yourself, buy oatmeal in the cartons instead of packets, lettuce by the head & lemon juice. Drink nothing but water. Exercise is free.

It takes more work, trust me, but what doesn't seem 10x harder when you're poor? you can do it mama!

tiffs2009
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Seriously frozen veggies are .88 at the grocery store! And rice and beans are $1!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)