Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Cheap dinner ideas for a broke mom

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
I'm down to my last little bit of money till Friday,I need a cheap dinner idea that'll feed a family of 4 and leave me enough to bring to work for lunch.We just had spaghetti and tacos the past few nights.Any ideas???
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brittany208
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:08 AM

we got a whole chicken from kroger for about 5$ and grilled it. Add a bag of frozen veggies for 1$ and that's plenty to eat for dinner with maybe some leftovers.

Or instead of eating the chicken as the main dish, grab a bag of salad mix instead and the chicken will last a lot longer as more of a condiment than main dish.

Or a couple cans of veggie soup with grilled cheese. 3 cans at 1.50 each is 4.50. assuming you have bread and cheese on hand.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Bump
kate80
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Eggs are fairly cheap and you can do scrambled or mix with milk and bread for French toast. Mone love eggs in the basket too. Anything hiding in the freezer?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Mac and cheese

Rice and beans/rice and tofu

Something w/eggs---French toast

Mashed potatoes as a side dish

Trollercoaster
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:50 AM

meatless spagetti

hot dogs

PB&J

grill cheese

turkey sandwhiches

chicken frozen thighs  put into a large pan add potatoes diced, carrots, green beans, soy sauce  salt and pepper and bake 350 for an hour -2 hours till everything is cooked.. makes a lot of food

apples for  snacks or bananas as they are relativly cheap and last a while

Momtimestwo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:58 AM
What do you already have?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gypsy30
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Like someone said, eggs are cheap.  Sometimes for dinner, we make fried egg, ham and cheese sandwiches.  We were shopping just a couple days ago and I couldn't believe how much the price of food has gone up.  A pound of hamburger, regular hamburger was 3.99 a pound, but a ham was 1.48 a pound.  We bought like a 13.00 one a we'll get 3 or 4 meals out of it, like the sandwiches, scalloped potatoes and ham, and a pot of bean soup.

Maevelyn
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:16 AM

cook a picnic ham from raw in the crock pot with some fruit. leftovers + sandwiches. 

littlecolton07
by Rebecca on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:19 AM

red beans and rice.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Shepards pie!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)