Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How times have changed...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

I just watched the goonies for the first time since i was a kid. 

seeing it through adults eyes was so different. 

aside frm the treasure hunt and everything, the day to day life was accurate to my own child hood. 

Mom and dad both out of the house, the kids left to fend for themselves. those kids rode their bikes 25 miles to get down to the spot they needed to be. even chunk, the overweight kid, rode his bike 25 miles to get there. 

they went on an amazing journy that took 2 days! all on foot. 

these days, i hear kids (and parents too!) bitching about schools being too far away to walk. SMH. we wonder why we have obese kids. 

well maybe if we let them walk more than 20 feet without stopping....

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaRae85
by *you're on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:21 PM

My mom never would have let us go that far from the house in the 80s. Especially being away for two days!

She also didn't hear stories about kids being kidnapped and raped as often as now.

Yes, parents should be willing to let their kids get dirt on them and get tired and sweaty, though. It's part of being a kid! They should definitely be getting exercize for WAY longer than they should be playing video games. =)

AleaKat
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:22 PM
I was a 90's kid and I could ride my bike around but I never had that much freedom. My parents would have freaked! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaTasha1003
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:41 PM

exactly, you didnt hear about it... But it was happening. The media just did not focus on it.. 20 years ago, they just didnt put "Teacher sleeps with student" on the news, that would be seen as disrespectful to the proffession & the school- if not the whole town. Now, they report on school fights!

Media has changed our sense of safety..

Quoting MamaRae85:

My mom never would have let us go that far from the house in the 80s. Especially being away for two days!

She also didn't hear stories about kids being kidnapped and raped as often as now.

Yes, parents should be willing to let their kids get dirt on them and get tired and sweaty, though. It's part of being a kid! They should definitely be getting exercize for WAY longer than they should be playing video games. =)

MommaTasha1003
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I was a 90s kid.. Latch key kid.. It was fun, and my kids wont get that same freedom, lol.... I was pretty much allowed anywhere in a 2 mile radius from our house. I needed to call/leave a note on my plans. But if i didnt they really didnt notice the difference, just figured I would be at one of my usual friends house.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:52 PM

If i remember, the Goonies were NOT allowed to go lol. they just did it anyway. 

MamaRae85
by *you're on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Yes, but the fact that she didn't hear about it was the issue. Not the fact that it didn't happen in the first place. Now that we know it happens far more often than we thought, we should do what we can to make sure our kids are safe. Not overprotected, not sheltered, just protected. Know what I mean?

I don't know any parents who would have let their kids be gone for that long anyway. They thought the parents on that movie were insane! But then, they also thought the KIDS in that movie were insane! lol

Quoting MommaTasha1003:

exactly, you didnt hear about it... But it was happening. The media just did not focus on it.. 20 years ago, they just didnt put "Teacher sleeps with student" on the news, that would be seen as disrespectful to the proffession & the school- if not the whole town. Now, they report on school fights!

Quoting MamaRae85:

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I was not allowed to go that far while growing up in the late 60's/early70's, lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Mom actually told the older brother to keep his younger brother home. and even YELLED at them about it (you dont see that on TV anymore either) 

Quoting MamaRae85:

Yes, but the fact that she didn't hear about it was the issue. Not the fact that it didn't happen in the first place. Now that we know it happens far more often than we thought, we should do what we can to make sure our kids are safe. Not overprotected, not sheltered, just protected. Know what I mean?

I don't know any parents who would have let their kids be gone for that long anyway. They thought the parents on that movie were insane! But then, they also thought the KIDS in that movie were insane! lol

Quoting MommaTasha1003:

Quoting MamaRae85:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:19 PM
I was born in the early 80s and my parents were super strict with me. I wasn't allowed to go outside without my sister and brother, not allowed to ride my bike anywhere except our driveway. I had to be in bed at 8 even on weekends until I was 16!

My kids have more freedom than I was ever allowed
MamaRae85
by *you're on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Right?? That one drives me insane. People think it's hilarious when the kid bosses the parent around. I think it's stupid. It's not even funny, most of the time. Sometimes, yea, but not most of the time. Oh, my gosh, did you ever see "Grounded for Life"? I hated that show. Their kids were nightmares and it was used as comedy. The parents would just roll their eyes. I know a lot of people liked it, that was just my opinion.

Rambling, I know. Sorry. lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Mom actually told the older brother to keep his younger brother home. and even YELLED at them about it (you dont see that on TV anymore either) 

Quoting MamaRae85:

Quoting MommaTasha1003:

Quoting MamaRae85:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)