Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is cops and robbers on the playground really something to be upset over?

Posted by   + Show Post

First Graders Suspended for Playing Cops & Robbers

Posted by Jeanne Sager on January 16, 2013 

playgroundYou know, I'm really getting tired of kids being punished for being normal kids. But here we go again. First graders at a Maryland elementary school have been suspended for having the audacity to play a good old-fashioned game of cops and robbers.

OMG. Don the Kevlar! Call out the National Guard! Six-year-olds are playing games on the playground!

After a 6-year-old was suspended -- in Maryland as well -- for pointing his fingers at his classmate and saying "Pow," this latest punishment that doesn't fit the crime hardly surprises me. Heck, we have kids being dubbed sexual deviants at 5 for hugging pals in kindergarten. NOTHING surprises me.

But it does depress me. These blatant over-reactions are slowly destroying childhood as we know it and turning kids into something ... jaded? Old? 

We're expecting kids to face issues that are far above their level of cognition. We're aging them.

Kids shouldn't know about school shootings and mass murders. They shouldn't know that a game of cops and robbers could upset some adults who see shades of darkness where they see only some innocent horseplay.

I can only wonder what is next if we keep pushing kids to explore topics they're not yet ready to deal with. Is cops and robbers going to be replaced by a game of drug dealers and addicts? Or maybe pimps and prostitutes? After all ... we're expecting kids to tackle more and more adult themes, but they are still just kids, kids who engage one another in play. Turning something into a game is in their nature.

I need no more proof of that than to look to these little boys playing cops and robbers. One of the boys' father is an Army staff sergeant who pointed out that his boy is well aware that his dad uses firearms in defense of this nation. He's a kid being brought up to respect guns ... but he's still just a kid who was playing a game.

Do we really want to take that away from our kids?

Is cops and robbers on the playground really something to be upset over?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Replies (21-30):
ALWsMomma
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this
So are we going to take the pictures of soldiers holding guns out of our history books??
Arg... I would have been pissed!

Quoting 2and2onway:

My son was suspended for 2 days when he was in 2cnd grade and drew a gun in the hands of a pilgrim and an arrow in the hands of an Indian both aiming at a turkey. I fought it and lost. Zero tollerance policies are becoming so ridiclous.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AleaKat
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:59 PM
That's racist!
Lol

Quoting Matriarch87:

& Cowboys & Indians!  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I think suspension is going overboard. However, I know where I worked the children were not allowed to play any games involving guns.

CafeMom Tickers
AleaKat
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this
This crap is getting ridiculous !

At least the kids are showing that they can identify good and bad characters..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:01 PM
4 moms liked this
Oh I know I'm sorry! Injuns I meant....

No wait.....

Quoting AleaKat:

That's racist!

Lol

Quoting Matriarch87:

& Cowboys & Indians!  

MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Suspension was a bit harsh, it's not like they had a toy gun with them.. But there have been lots of shootings lately, so I can understand why it's an issue .
meparty
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Yup  my son got written up last year for doing the gun motion with his hand. 

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:02 PM
3 moms liked this

Oh wow, gasp, I played that and army and cowboys and indians as a kid because there was this cowboy show I used to watch (can't remember the name). My bicycle was my horse and I kept the prairie safe for all the pioneers...America's best fast riding female Sherriff. LOL LOL LOL  I am quite boringly normal and my kids are well adjusted, compassionate kids that haven't learned my "eveil" ways.  They play cops and robbers too.  Oh and take each other to "jail" too.  It's a kid thing. 

Then one of them will be the jail ministry person and get the person in jail to repent from his or her wicked ways then give them a get out of jail free card. LOL.  Kids and imagination....the horror.   Of course there are some that freak out cause I let my kids play that.  What would they say about my children holding a funeral for a broken toy and having a eulogy and music etc etc. They have been to one funeral and one wake in their whole lives, apparently it made an impression. Gasp..the horror.

No it isn't something to get upset about.  

2and2onway
by Kimmie on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I was pissed, I tried to get the paper involved, but small town paper did not want to get involved. Our schools do not allow pictures of guns or any weopons to be drawn. They even tell students that the pictures for Veterans Day that line the walls of the school, must not have weapons in them either.

Quoting ALWsMomma:

So are we going to take the pictures of soldiers holding guns out of our history books??
Arg... I would have been pissed!

Quoting 2and2onway:

My son was suspended for 2 days when he was in 2cnd grade and drew a gun in the hands of a pilgrim and an arrow in the hands of an Indian both aiming at a turkey. I fought it and lost. Zero tollerance policies are becoming so ridiclous.

AleaKat
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this
As long as they dont start playing cops and Muslims.

Quoting Matriarch87:

Oh I know I'm sorry! Injuns I meant....

No wait.....

Quoting AleaKat:

That's racist!

Lol

Quoting Matriarch87:

& Cowboys & Indians!  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)