Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is cops and robbers on the playground really something to be upset over?

Posted by   + Show Post

First Graders Suspended for Playing Cops & Robbers

Posted by Jeanne Sager on January 16, 2013 

playgroundYou know, I'm really getting tired of kids being punished for being normal kids. But here we go again. First graders at a Maryland elementary school have been suspended for having the audacity to play a good old-fashioned game of cops and robbers.

OMG. Don the Kevlar! Call out the National Guard! Six-year-olds are playing games on the playground!

After a 6-year-old was suspended -- in Maryland as well -- for pointing his fingers at his classmate and saying "Pow," this latest punishment that doesn't fit the crime hardly surprises me. Heck, we have kids being dubbed sexual deviants at 5 for hugging pals in kindergarten. NOTHING surprises me.

But it does depress me. These blatant over-reactions are slowly destroying childhood as we know it and turning kids into something ... jaded? Old? 

We're expecting kids to face issues that are far above their level of cognition. We're aging them.

Kids shouldn't know about school shootings and mass murders. They shouldn't know that a game of cops and robbers could upset some adults who see shades of darkness where they see only some innocent horseplay.

I can only wonder what is next if we keep pushing kids to explore topics they're not yet ready to deal with. Is cops and robbers going to be replaced by a game of drug dealers and addicts? Or maybe pimps and prostitutes? After all ... we're expecting kids to tackle more and more adult themes, but they are still just kids, kids who engage one another in play. Turning something into a game is in their nature.

I need no more proof of that than to look to these little boys playing cops and robbers. One of the boys' father is an Army staff sergeant who pointed out that his boy is well aware that his dad uses firearms in defense of this nation. He's a kid being brought up to respect guns ... but he's still just a kid who was playing a game.

Do we really want to take that away from our kids?

Is cops and robbers on the playground really something to be upset over?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Replies (301-310):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 30 on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:48 PM

You know I may not be the best parent, but if my child was suspended for 2 days FOR THAT, JUST THAT; we would be going to chuck e cheese and I would try to make up to my child who is wrongfully treated by the school! I'm sorry but if my child draws a gun, its no big deal. I live in a community where we all hunt, we all own guns! So its the norm to be around guns. I was in pre-k when my daddy took me hunting with him! I would make sure my child knew that I would not punish him/her for something as trivial as that! And I would go against EVERYTHING the school was trying to accomplish at that moment!

Quoting Thelmama:

That is nuts.  That is how they hunted then.  Truth in a child's drawing.  The horror. SMH

Quoting 2and2onway:

My son was suspended for 2 days when he was in 2cnd grade and drew a gun in the hands of a pilgrim and an arrow in the hands of an Indian both aiming at a turkey. I fought it and lost. Zero tollerance policies are becoming so ridiclous.

Myke
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:37 PM

oh, but don't you know that now this is stereotyping and racist! blah blah lol

Quoting Matriarch87:

& Cowboys & Indians!  

Myke
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:46 PM

At my kids elementary school they are not allowed to play any type of games on the playground that were staples when we were kids.  Tag, Red light green light, Red rover, cops and robbers, cowboys and indians, swing on their stomach on the swings "May only sit in swings on their bottoms".  They can't even play a real basketball game, they are only allowed to take turns shooting baskets.  This has been a real aggrivating sore spot with me for years, It is no wonder why our youth of today is shuttered indoors playing on electronics getting more and more obese.  They are not allowed to learn how to play in their formative years.

mom23heathens
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:03 PM

As parents it's hard to see fault in our own kids and we want to protect them but at some point enough is enough.

Quoting bustybee:

yah, my parents babied my brother for years. saying 'I was just being mean'. they let him drop out in grade 7.... because the other kids were starting to gang up on him. my parents never bothered to find out why (his threatening to kill people hourly) just figured he was being picked on..... so at the nice age of 17 he ended up stabbing 3 people (he was high on E incidentally) and seriously injuring a 15 year old girl. my parents tried to cover it up and got him a plea bargain. 18 mos house arrest....

he is now 22 and still regularly threatens to kill people. he works at my parents gold mine, and has been known to pull a knife out and threaten to kill someone... my parents don't do anything to him, and inturn bribe the person he threatened to kill rather than solving the actual issue. my brother.

me, and many many many others think he is the problem, but when the parents encourage that sort of behaviour, and the schools hands are tied. you have to watch out.

Quoting mom23heathens:

Like i heard on the school playground last week. "Give me that quarter or i will chop off your head with scissors and feed it to sharks!" I told a teacher and the response i got was " "J" wouldn't say that, he's such a good kid" Right lady, how long have you been around kids? Those are the ones you need to watch out for.

Quoting bustybee:

no, its like cowboys and indians or superheroes. they aren't being bad.

a trigger, or reason for concern, would be a 5 year old threatening to kill you will a specific weapon if you don't do what they want. like my brother, who is a convicted felon.

sarahjoy
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:09 PM

I guess with the frequency of molestation issues and things like that on the rise I would assume.... I am with these kids so much probably more than most of their parents are witht them and I love them to pieces.  i have to admit when my students have told me they love me before leaving at the end of the day I have said it back... and i do love them...but society has made it so wrong that if saying something like that to a kid is wrong and that means the teacher is "too affectionate... could be doing inappropriate things" so its more or less to watch our own backs legally.  you'd be suprised at some of the reasons parents say they are going to sue us teachers/schools.  Ive even been told I was a "satin worshipper because I had dress ups and puppets in my kindergarten classroom... wtf??? ya and she pulled her son from the school bc of it... she said the puppets were a sign of voodoo...so i dont bring them out much anymore afraid of a parents comments and how it will affect my career... I had another parent say I was the devil (because I was white) and taught about national holidays... btw thats a standard our state requires we teach.. she filed a police report and everything because her daughter said I hit her (luckily we have cameras in our rooms and it showed me doing no such thing but none the less I had to deal with an "investigation" all because her kid got introuble for not listening that day and she made up a lie.  Teachers just have to protect themselves... because if for some crazy reason a kid went home and told his mom that a kid "shot" him at recess.. some crazy parents would make a huge issue out of it and the teacher would be in big trouble for allowing the game to occur.  Its not that we may not think its okay and just pure fun... we have to look out for our careers and some parents are just insane.

I even had a complaint to my boss that I was a bad teacher for not giving enough homework.. (the third week into kindergarten)... and then when I started giving work.. the parent never had the kid do it and turn it in .. then im the bad teacher for giving the kid a bad grade for nothing being turned in.

or one parent complained because the office called to have her kid picked up because he was throwing things around the office and cussing out the staff... she complained about that... that she shouldnt have to pick her kid up all the time... this is the same kid that jumped on my back and choked me, bruised my legs weekly from punches, ripped my toe nail off with his shoe from kicking me... yet she was only called once the whole year to pick him up.. and she knows he has these behaviors... there was never any wow youre great for dealing with my wild son's issues... never.  but I get introuble from my boss for not telling the mom every day that he's violent to me and disruptive.  but then when she gets called once its all hell. 

sometimes with parents, for a teacher its a no win situation... we just have to watch our backs all the time and protect ourself.   its hard to balance. so it may seem silly to non teachers but for us its protection of our careers.. this is our life, how we pay bills, what we love to do (for most of us).. if we loose our career for something like that it could be very hard to find another job in the same field.. and think of it like if you could never do something you love like a hobby again.. how would you feel.... i would not know what to do if i couldnt teach again.  so i have to look and think of all angles before doing, saying anything that could be taken the wrong way.

Quoting mom2ljh:

I do not understand why kids aren't allowed to love their teachers.  In my son's case, he is with his teacher and her assistant for 7 hours a day.  I would be concerned if he did NOT love her.  Am I just weird?

Quoting sarahjoy:

at work with my kindergarteners Ive seen one or two kids "playing" shooting.. and I just tell that that it is not nice and not to do it.... however if it occured again after being told they would have a time out, then if it happened after time out I would contact the parent... if it continued to happen then they would be written up with a referral and sent to the in school suspension room...if this sequence happened again the child would probably be suspended.

as for the "hugging" and being punished for sexual harrassment... well our school is a very "big family"  we do hugs lol.  I have even had some students kiss my cheek and tell me they love me... (this would be a foster kid and then another who was just a very lovable child).  I just remind them that we dont do that at school.  and for the hugging... I always encourage kids to ask first because not everyone likes to be touched.  anything more than that it would be the same sequence of consequences as mentioned for the "play shooting". 

I can see it being punished with suspension if it kept occuring after they were told to not play it but not without warning first.

mom2ljh
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Oh I understand he protection aspect. It's more a statement on society. Every day I'm happier and happier that my son is in a private school. Sure, people can be crazy, but many of these thins just don't happen there. They don't have bullies, his teachers aren't afraid to hug the kids and tell them they love them. Our society needs to get a grip.

Quoting sarahjoy:

I guess with the frequency of molestation issues and things like that on the rise I would assume.... I am with these kids so much probably more than most of their parents are witht them and I love them to pieces.  i have to admit when my students have told me they love me before leaving at the end of the day I have said it back... and i do love them...but society has made it so wrong that if saying something like that to a kid is wrong and that means the teacher is "too affectionate... could be doing inappropriate things" so its more or less to watch our own backs legally.  you'd be suprised at some of the reasons parents say they are going to sue us teachers/schools.  Ive even been told I was a "satin worshipper because I had dress ups and puppets in my kindergarten classroom... wtf??? ya and she pulled her son from the school bc of it... she said the puppets were a sign of voodoo...so i dont bring them out much anymore afraid of a parents comments and how it will affect my career... I had another parent say I was the devil (because I was white) and taught about national holidays... btw thats a standard our state requires we teach.. she filed a police report and everything because her daughter said I hit her (luckily we have cameras in our rooms and it showed me doing no such thing but none the less I had to deal with an "investigation" all because her kid got introuble for not listening that day and she made up a lie.  Teachers just have to protect themselves... because if for some crazy reason a kid went home and told his mom that a kid "shot" him at recess.. some crazy parents would make a huge issue out of it and the teacher would be in big trouble for allowing the game to occur.  Its not that we may not think its okay and just pure fun... we have to look out for our careers and some parents are just insane.

I even had a complaint to my boss that I was a bad teacher for not giving enough homework.. (the third week into kindergarten)... and then when I started giving work.. the parent never had the kid do it and turn it in .. then im the bad teacher for giving the kid a bad grade for nothing being turned in.

or one parent complained because the office called to have her kid picked up because he was throwing things around the office and cussing out the staff... she complained about that... that she shouldnt have to pick her kid up all the time... this is the same kid that jumped on my back and choked me, bruised my legs weekly from punches, ripped my toe nail off with his shoe from kicking me... yet she was only called once the whole year to pick him up.. and she knows he has these behaviors... there was never any wow youre great for dealing with my wild son's issues... never.  but I get introuble from my boss for not telling the mom every day that he's violent to me and disruptive.  but then when she gets called once its all hell. 

sometimes with parents, for a teacher its a no win situation... we just have to watch our backs all the time and protect ourself.   its hard to balance. so it may seem silly to non teachers but for us its protection of our careers.. this is our life, how we pay bills, what we love to do (for most of us).. if we loose our career for something like that it could be very hard to find another job in the same field.. and think of it like if you could never do something you love like a hobby again.. how would you feel.... i would not know what to do if i couldnt teach again.  so i have to look and think of all angles before doing, saying anything that could be taken the wrong way.

Quoting mom2ljh:

I do not understand why kids aren't allowed to love their teachers.  In my son's case, he is with his teacher and her assistant for 7 hours a day.  I would be concerned if he did NOT love her.  Am I just weird?

Quoting sarahjoy:

at work with my kindergarteners Ive seen one or two kids "playing" shooting.. and I just tell that that it is not nice and not to do it.... however if it occured again after being told they would have a time out, then if it happened after time out I would contact the parent... if it continued to happen then they would be written up with a referral and sent to the in school suspension room...if this sequence happened again the child would probably be suspended.

as for the "hugging" and being punished for sexual harrassment... well our school is a very "big family"  we do hugs lol.  I have even had some students kiss my cheek and tell me they love me... (this would be a foster kid and then another who was just a very lovable child).  I just remind them that we dont do that at school.  and for the hugging... I always encourage kids to ask first because not everyone likes to be touched.  anything more than that it would be the same sequence of consequences as mentioned for the "play shooting". 

I can see it being punished with suspension if it kept occuring after they were told to not play it but not without warning first.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SissyAnn141
" I AM PROUD, TO BE A CHRISTIAN AMERICAN.......
Today at 3:13 AM
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Quoting AmericanChild82:

I'd rather see kids outside playing cops & robbers or cowboys& indians than sitting inside in front of the tv on their butts.

Me Too.

Let him get suspended.

Explain, he can not do/ play that at school.

Spend some MOM & SON time together   hugs.........

Siggy is Clickable to group

TigerPower
by New Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:34 PM
It's STILL how people hunt!!!

Quoting Thelmama:

That is nuts.  That is how they hunted then.  Truth in a child's drawing.  The horror. SMH

Quoting 2and2onway:

My son was suspended for 2 days when he was in 2cnd grade and drew a gun in the hands of a pilgrim and an arrow in the hands of an Indian both aiming at a turkey. I fought it and lost. Zero tollerance policies are becoming so ridiclous.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:08 AM

I know that..LOL.  .  My point was he was drawing and authentic drawing and should not have been suspeneded. It is nuts they suspended a 2nd grader for that. I grew up and went to school in a very rural area. Most kids had their own guns by the time they were 6 or less to hunt with.  

Quoting TigerPower:

It's STILL how people hunt!!!

Quoting Thelmama:

Quoting 2and2onway:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 31 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:19 AM

My son was playing at the park and this kid was chasing him and trying to swatt his face... my ds pointed his finger and said go away... the grandmother of the other kid scoffed and said "he can hurt someone." motioning to my son.  He wasn't even touching the other kid, just pointing a finger.  But she's more concerned my kid is just pointing a finger and her grandson is swatting another kid's face. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)